Thread: XB12Ss Rear Shock infor from EBR

XB12Ss Rear Shock infor from EBR

This may be no news to some of the pro's but I've been looking for options to perhaps lower the rear on my XB12Ss a little for comfort and after reading several threads I really didn't find a definitive answer about swapping springs, or the whole shock for another model. So I emailed EBR direct and got a really informative answer that I thought I would share for the knowledge pool.
    EBR Tech Support:
    I get a lot of questions about “mixing and matching” XB suspension and the unfortunate answer is pretty much none of it is interchangeable without parts of the bike hitting each other at full compression and an unpredictable impact on handling

The spring from the S and the Scg are enough shorter that they will not work well with the overall length and valving in your shock. I’ve never tried that combo but I suspect it will very negatively affect the handing of your bike.

A lot goes into spec-ing the shock and making sure the bike handles well. It really doesn’t take much to screw it up a lot so I’m very hesitant to suggest any combination I we haven’t tested.

Of the people I know of who have gone this route and had a good result it involves a custom progressive spring so the overall length was correct, the initial sag was more to drop the static height, but still provide the proper compression at ride height with rider weight.

In general I really do not suggest modifying the suspension in any way, but if you are going to go that route I would suggest working with a company like hypercoil on a custom spring and be very cautious shaking down the bike and evaluating any impact to handling.
    Last edited by rteyeball; 02-06-2021 at 03:06 PM.

If you want an OE solution, IIRC an earlier Ss was 1" lower than a later one*. What I usually do is search the twin MC database for an earlier and later bike, compare rear shock part numbers and see if they're different. If they are, its a good bet thats all you need and you can just buy the whole assembly.

For an aftermarket solution, find the spring rate by asking EBR, testing on a scale/press, calling Racetech, Hyperco, etc. and see if they have something that will drop the bike and still be good for your weight. IMO, The front can be lowered up to 1" by cutting the spacer, but the right way is fork springs.

IMO to drop it 1" evenly front and rear is acceptable but he's right though, messing with a bikes height and spring rate better be done correctly. You already on a low seat?

*check that info first, I'm old and memory fades with every beer.

I could also imagine that the lawyers at EBR would never let them state something equivalent to "sure, just swap out any random parts you see fit" even if that solution could theoretically just work out fine.

So this thread is perfect, I am in need of a rear shock rebuild ( 08 Ss); my shaft has a nick in it that I believe is weeping some fluid out.

Since Covid and I'm on an island, I would need to order the right shaft in order to rebuild. Any ideas where I can order such a thing? The shop that rebuilt it in the past is off island so I'd like to save the unnecessary cost of shipping it on top of the rebuild.

The place that re-builds that shock should have the source for the parts they need. Otherwise time of a new one or an upgrade!
    https://sphdonline.com/products/k041...d7bf1352&_ss=r

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...shock&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by cocoabutterlover View Post
    So this thread is perfect, I am in need of a rear shock rebuild ( 08 Ss); my shaft has a nick in it that I believe is weeping some fluid out.

Since Covid and I'm on an island, I would need to order the right shaft in order to rebuild. Any ideas where I can order such a thing? The shop that rebuilt it in the past is off island so I'd like to save the unnecessary cost of shipping it on top of the rebuild.
    You will likely want to contact the shop doing the rebuild to see if they can order one from Showa. Or you may need to provide 2 shocks so they can pull parts from one to the other. Or you can contact a company like Racetech who offers a rechroming service.

Your best bet is probably to pick up a new one. St Paul has them for $250

16 minutes late.

SLACKER!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You will likely want to contact the shop doing the rebuild to see if they can order one from Showa. Or you may need to provide 2 shocks so they can pull parts from one to the other. Or you can contact a company like Racetech who offers a rechroming service.

Your best bet is probably to pick up a new one. St Paul has them for $250
    Thats' a right price. A rebuild probably won't touch that.