Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZTL2 upgrade - master cylinder with handguards

ZTL2 upgrade - master cylinder with handguards

Hi guys,

I have an '05 XB12S for 8 years now. Every year, I do an upgrade in the winter. I have a Brembo P34 hidden caliper with Brembo MC on the rear, handguards, all black, shortened tail, steering damper and some other small upgrades/changes.

Very high on my wishlist was the ZTL2 caliper, but I never found one for a price I like.
    Last week I bought an new, unused EBR ZTL2 caliper from a friend for very little money. He had no other parts for the upgrade.
    The last days I've been reading a lot about this upgrade. I thought of replacing the master cylinder for a Brembo 19RCS, but I'm pretty sure that my handguards will not fit anymore, at least not as easy as it fits on my original master cylinder.

So, now I'm thinking about the ZTL2 master cylinder from the 1125. Anyone who has fitted handguards to that MC? Or with the Brembo 19RCS?

I also read about the 2010 ZTL2 MC would be better than the '08 and '09. It had to do with an internal seal, but not all members agreed on this. This was an old topic. Maybe anyone with new experience on this?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the hand guards but the ZTL2 Loves the EBR 3/4 radial master cylinder. I would highly suggest getting the EBR one or a 19mm master cylinder. I had the 1125 master grade a while and was very disappointed in the lever feel. The EBR master solved this problem.

Handguard fittment will be the easiest with a regular M/C because they use the pivot as the inner mount. A Radial style will work too with just a little fiddling and swapping your current lever pivots to the new M/C.

A straight R&R bolt-on is the Buell one and any M/C will work from a Buell with a ZTL-2 caliper, XB, 1125, Uly, whatever they are 19mm. I've never heard that a 2010 M/C is different.

This part is listed all inclusive for 2008-2010:
    https://sphdonline.com/products/h050...b6aa5698&_ss=r

This is how you get the Radial M/C upgrade: It's an EBR unit, should be bolt-on with some minor brake line adjustment, and really inexpensive.
    https://sphdonline.com/products/x020...b6aa5698&_ss=r

I got my stock M/c to work well but like Mike L said, I like the radial M/C better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Handguard fittment will be the easiest with a regular M/C because they use the pivot as the inner mount. A Radial style will work too with just a little fiddling and swapping your current lever pivots to the new M/C.

A straight R&R bolt-on is the Buell one and any M/C will work from a Buell with a ZTL-2 caliper, XB, 1125, Uly, whatever they are 19mm. I've never heard that a 2010 M/C is different.

This part is listed all inclusive for 2008-2010:
    https://sphdonline.com/products/h050...b6aa5698&_ss=r

This is how you get the Radial M/C upgrade: It's an EBR unit, should be bolt-on with some minor brake line adjustment, and really inexpensive.
    https://sphdonline.com/products/x020...b6aa5698&_ss=r

I got my stock M/c to work well but like Mike L said, I like the radial M/C better.
    I thought any Buell that came with a ztl2 had a 14mm master and The EBRs all got 3/4 masters.

And the regular ztl got a 1/2 inch

All Buell ZTL-2 calipers used a 19mm master. The EBR has a 19mm radial master.

There is also 5/8" Buell master out there that bolts on, but it's for tubers. The bore size is cast on all of them.

Using the 5/8" (14mm) master on the ZTL-2 would give super soft lever I would not recommend it.
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-10-2021 at 08:21 PM.

This sounds familiar

BUELL XB/1125 SERIES master cylinder info as follows:

all ZTL OEM equipped models have the following FRONT master cylinder:
    part # N0200.1AJ-----suffix L18A. still available....original list price is $110.40....bore diameter is 1/2 inches....manufactured for BMC by Nissin

all ZTL2 OEM equipped models being 2009 R...1125....2010 models exclusive of the 9's...have the following FRONT master cylinder:
    part # H0507.1AMD----NO suffix. still available...original list price is $119.85....bore diameter is 19mm/3/4"......manufactured for BMC by Nissin.

ZTL master cylinder has raised stampings consisting of 1/2 and 5 F 2. those are the identifiers
    ZTL2 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """" """" B 14 and C 16. those are the identifiers

NOTE: the lever pin pivot points slightly different between the two. it's subtle, but it produces a slightly different amount of lever feel and bore pressure.

EBR master cylinder? know nothing about them, nor do i care to.

Thank you very much!
    That EBR master cylinder sounds great, I would like to have a radial MC because a lot of people are praising the feel.

Cooter, you have send me the link of the clutch master, right? Do you know if St. Paul Motorcycles ships to the Netherlands?

I'll think of something for my handguards. If I can't get my hands on a radial EBR MC, I'll probably go for the ZTL2 MC.
    Either way, I will update this topic when I have fitted my handguards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast