Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ZTL2 upgrade - master cylinder with handguards

Don 't know how to upload pictures?

The bushing has the following dimensions:

Total length: 16,3 mm of which 5,3 mm has a diameter of 7,5 mm to go in the hole of hand guard.
    The rest has a diameter of 12 mm
    Hole: 4,2 mm.

Don't know how to make the pictures bigger.
    Thanks for all the help with this mod. I really like this one. Next winter: XB9 primary in my XB12 (shorter ratio) and make the transmission cover black wrinkle paint.

Attachment 16396

Attachment 16397

Attachment 16398

2022-03-30 Buell XB12S Lightning bj2004 (1).jpg

2022-03-30 Buell XB12S Lightning bj2004 (3).jpg

2022-03-30 Buell XB12S Lightning bj2004 (6).jpg

2022-02-11 Buell XB12S Lightning bj2004 (4).jpg
    Last edited by RISL; 09-04-2022 at 05:55 AM.

Looks like the conversion looks great, glad you got it done

I noticed a couple things in the pictures you'll want to check. The brake line still looks much too short. Unload the front suspension and still should have quite a bit of a bend in it. If it's 'almost long enough' and trying to be almost straight with the suspension extended, the obviously aftermarket line will have problems... soon

Personally I unload the front, and make sure the center of the banjo is at least 75mm longer than the inlet hole of the caliper at a minimum. That way the line isn't flexing a lot with suspension movement.

Also, I have used that exact off-shore brake fluid reservoir on a couple projects.Sure, it's cheap and looks nice, BUT twice now I have had weird brake issues that were solved by changing it. It would bleed OK but wouldn't pull fluid into the master during normal use/brake pad wear and the lever would go soft. Twice, it was the little plastic 90* fitting on the bottom that would not flow fluid, even though it was open and not blocked!

You can mount it higher to use a straight fitting, or (to keep it lower and cleaner looking) change it to a little aluminum res (off-shore) with a straight fitting out of the side, not the bottom. You want it to flow downhill, even though it will siphon, an air bubble in the res line would stop it flowing if it's going uphill.

Looks are important, brakes are importanter

Thanks! I will change the brake line. Why do you need so much overlength? I agree it is to short now, but I thought just to add 1 or 1,5 inch.
    More is better in this case?
    With unloaded suspension, the brake line is 1 centimeter longer than the inlet on the caliper at this moment. It is aftermarket, but made to my specifications.

I will look into another reservoir in the winter. Had no problem yet, but I don't want to run into problems either.

I'll keep that last sentence in mind when working on brakes from now on.
    Last edited by RISL; 09-05-2022 at 09:09 PM.

It needs to be "overlength" so that it moves as little as possible during suspension movement. 75mm is a guess, 1.5" is probably ok too. You're trying to mimic the OE line length and routing, and IMO, the pic of yours looks way too short. You'll see the big bend they have at static ride height, and the support bracket placement to keep it off the tire.

Fun fact: Monroe shocks used to quote that for every mile a vehicle travels, the suspension will cycle approximately one MILLION times X 50k+ miles, an extra inch or two of flex matters.

Also check this out:
    It was very hard for Spiegler to match OE specs and pass that DOT test. Think about that while shopping for cheap brake lines on e-bay.
    https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/why-s...-research.html

You may or may not have a reservoir issue in the future, I just recognized the one you bought and thought I'd mention it.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-05-2022 at 10:25 PM.

I understand!
    A new, longer brake line is already ordered. I have bought good quality brake lines from Hell Performance. I don't know if you know them.
    I have checked the reservoir also, it is tilted, so the hose between pump and reservoir is on an small angle, so I think I won't run into problems with this. However, if I do run into problems, this will be the first suspects. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by RISL View Post
    I have bought good quality brake lines from Hell Performance. I don't know if you know them.
    You mean Helper Formance right?

https://www.helperformance.com/

I have bought brake lines from them too.

Hell performance sounds better

I buy them from the Dutch dealer of Hel. Very easy to specify how you want it made.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234