Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ecm

Ecm

Got a problem with my '06 xb12x Uly which won't start and I think it's the ECM ,Mine has part no.Y0152.3AB.06044 and there is one on ebay which is Y0152.3AB.06066 . What is the difference and will it work on my Uly.
    Thanks
    Marrtin

Those numbers really don’t mean anything to us.

1. Is yours and the one your buying ddfi2 or ddfi3? Compare the number of pins in the socket
    2. if no- find another. If yes move to step 3
    3. Get a device like a Buelltooth from rev mo or a cable and plug into an android device running ecmdroid (free download) and compare the firmware code on both ecms
    4. Is it the same? If yes move to step 5. If no you may have to find a harley dealer (likely one that once sold buell) and see if they can reflash the firmware.
    5. Upload a tune from rev mo (if you bought a Buelltooth from them) or maybe there is one on buellmods.com
    6. Hope and pray that you were correct about the ecm or you just spent a lot of time and money for nothing.

Being that you don’t mention pulling any codes from the ecm. How do you know it’s the ecm? Maybe it has a dead battery? Is it out of gas?

Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-13-2021 at 02:10 PM.

This guy ain't as dumb as he looks ^^^^^ Especially the part about diagnosing the problem before you randomly throw parts at it. ECM's are hardy units and RARELY go bad*. A no-start condition should be easy to diagnose and this time of year we see a ton of bikes that crank over fine but won't start because the plugs are fouled. Plugs are cheaper than a ECM that you didn't need.

What he's saying is... All Buell ECM's are interchangeable within the DDFI-1(Tuber), 2 (XB '03-'07) ,3 (XB and 1125 '08-'10). It is the fuel map inside it that matters for your specific bike, and theres no way to know if the map on the ebay thing you found matches your bike or is even stock. Also the ECM Firmware version must match the fuel map you want to use. BUE-2D is the latest and most common.

Alternatively, http://idspd.com/xcart/?target=main will sell you a plug n play ECM with whatever map you want already on it. Heck, I have a bunch of ECM's I could throw a program on one and sent it to you... if that guy ^^^^ would ever return my ECMDroid!

*Since you have a Uly, check for physical damage to your ECM. There is a relocating bracket available. Some combinations of Uly, short legs and big belly on a low seat can put pressure on the ECM and physically crack it. That would be one of the rare reasons to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    if that guy ^^^^ would ever return my ECMDroid.
    Finders keepers!

Thanks for your replies , my ecm has two 12 pin plugs and a single spade in between .I got the bike a couple of weeks ago running badly .There was a blink code for front fuel injector so I took both injectors out and sent them for cleaning and flow checking .While they were away I went through the engine wiring , found a Remus poweriser which was no longer connected to the injectors but was still spliced in to the throttle pot signal wire so mister Remus went in the bin . The starter was also cranking very slowly which was a bad battery earth cable so I made a new one which went all the way to the top engine steady strut and it cranks a lot better now .I also had a look at the ignition ,spark plugs looked brand new and under cranking they were sparking but only weakly ,got the oscilloscope out and found the coil primaries had a nice clean current ramp but a strange voltage pattern in that the dwell was fine and a good high clean induced voltage line but then no burn time and no coil oscillations and the same on both coil primaries , I haven't looked at coil secondary windings yet as I cant get my HT lead clamp in there , was going to try a magnetic coil-on-plug probe to see if that would pick up a signal , have also drained the tank and put fresh fuel in and I'm going to try a new pair of spark plugs.
    I also don't like substitution diagnostics but I have seen ecm's get spiked by numpties with jump leads and with a bad earth cable that's a definite possibility and the poweriser was badly fitted with the splice on the throttle pot having cut the wire apart from a couple of strands .ECM's do go - I had to put one in my Ducati ST4 last year as it would not switch on the fuel pump relay.
    So at the moment the jury is out on the ECM but it is suspect.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mtr View Post
    The starter was also cranking very slowly which was a bad battery earth cable so I made a new one which went all the way to the top engine steady strut and it cranks a lot better now
    I would start here. You’ve diagnosed a bad ground and put in a patch, rather than fix the issue. A bad ground can cause lots of weird issues. A bad ground can damage an ecm (or other components) and the new ones you put in. Cleaning your grounds is practically free and just requires time and effort and helps insure your electrical system has a sound foundation.

Yes I agree with you and I've been through all the grounds and power supplies and I'm pretty sure that is not the issue any more
    M

so if you put that wire on the correct grounding point on the chassis, do you still have issues

Moving the battery ground to the engine strut only isolated the problem. Did you pull the subframe and clean the interface where it bolts to the main frame/tank?

Wow, I just had a day dream of learning to use an oscilloscope in HS auto shop class! No kidding, what timing

If you have spark at both plugs, no need to keep checking that. Fuel, air spark/timing is all you need to run. Clean or replace the plugs while you're in there, well worth it and the NGK Iridiums are the go to around here.

You can check the timing under the riveted cover if you like. See if it came apart. Other than that IMO it's time to check fueling. Good job on tossing the funky add-on, nothing but trouble lurking in those and no need considering Buell ECM's have been jail-broken for a long time now.

Do what 34:19 suggested and download the free copy for ECMDroid, it needs a bluetooth signal from the bike (I like my Buelltooth dongle from Rev-mo.com). ECMDroid is a very valuable tool for sensor testing, datalogging, and even swapping tunes in.

IMO, it's time to check the fueling side of things.

“I’m pretty sure”

“I’m pretty sure the grounds and power aren’t the issue” sounds a lot like “I’m pretty sure it isn’t the coil”.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast