Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ID this muffler

ID this muffler

Hey guys, I bought a used XB12S that has a K&N filter w open air box, and some exhaust mods. I'm just trying to identify what muffler is on this thing, and if it is set up correctly. The exhaust flap actuator is gone, and the PO fixed the cable so that the exhaust valve is maybe 50-75% open. If I try to rotate the exhaust valve by hand, it still moves a bunch. Should it be open all the way? I searched this forum but couldn't find anything relating to this or any pics of a muffler like mine. Here is a pic of the muffler. From what I can see inside, the last 12" or so it is just an open chamber with a metal grating around the inside of it. Also the tip is oval and it points straight at the rear tire, which seems weird. Check out the attached pic. Thx!

20210217_213742.jpg

Someone with skills home made that from stock. They probably gutted most of it, so the exhaust valve is probably useless now.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Someone with skills home made that from stock. They probably gutted most of it, so the exhaust valve is probably useless now.
    K thanks, that's what I figured. I guess I just need to play w the exhaust valve and see how the engine performs in different position of the valve. So far it seems fine, but I don't know what stock feels like and this bike has 5x the torque of any other bike I've ever ridden lol...

Related question, is there a way to tell if it has an aftermarket or stock tune? I just don't want it to be running lean, I heard bad things about that...

Quote Originally Posted by jivenene View Post
    K thanks, that's what I figured. I guess I just need to play w the exhaust valve and see how the engine performs in different position of the valve. So far it seems fine, but I don't know what stock feels like and this bike has 5x the torque of any other bike I've ever ridden lol...

Related question, is there a way to tell if it has an aftermarket or stock tune? I just don't want it to be running lean, I heard bad things about that...
    Get a Buelltooth and ECMDroid to check your AFV to see if the bike is compensating for a lean (or rich mix). Its a useful tool in many ways to keep the bike running its best. I've heard the Buelltooth guy has been making random appearances on the forum and can probably offer up some advice on an easy way to tell. If you get a chance, check out his web site at rev-mo.com as he has some good and interesting tech info about tuning and XB exhausts. I've bought product from rev-mo and they get a

I think I've seen your muffler before... there may be a thread somewhere out there showing it being built. Dont quote me on this, though.

I'd say possibly a Spec-Ops modded exhaust.

Unusual exhaust to be sure. Theres really no way to tell what tune you have in it unless you know how to read a fuel map and can compare it to a known one. Too much trouble IMO.

If it runs well, you're probably ok. These engines can take a beating and have a WIDE range of acceptable tunes. I'm honestly shocked how bad a tune has to be to run poorly (on a well maintained bike).

I like that 34:19 guys idea to check out the actual running condition with ECMDroid, it is free He like taking Buells apart but has yet to finish one. Otherwise, hard to say... popping on deceleration is a clue it's a lean tune, but only means its lean on deceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    He like taking Buells apart but has yet to finish one.
    KA-POW!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If it runs, you're probably ok. .
    Like this?

In case you are wondering what that clanking sound is... its the motor saying "kill me please. let me die now!!!"
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-19-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Ain't no modded Spec-Ops or any other POS.
    it's the highly coveted and sought-after "SootMaster 5000" which was only offered in our Fall/2012 online catalog.
    Featured our patented "Omni-Directional Carbon Blaster" outlet port which, if installed as per factory instructions, left a protective coating of carbon and soot on the oil line....tensioner pulley....inside right portion of swingarm. Collectors item!

FabioDriven
    Owner/CEO
    HellFire Exhaust Ltd, LLC
    Boston, MA

Attachment 15022
    Haha... maybe it's hard to tell but the outlet points straight at the rear tire, giving that a nice coating of oil and soot lol.
    Actually though, rear wheel and tire look clean, so the wind prob disrupts the exhaust flow before it hits anything? I dunno.

Anyway, it's def a stock muffler since it has the valve in it still.

Is buelltooth the only way to go, or can one use a laptop to read the ecu?

You can also use a cable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    I'd say possibly a Spec-Ops modded exhaust.
    Hey you might be right! I checked on the ecu last night, it was labeled , so I googled it came to another page on this magnificent site:

Y0180.10AH ECM, XB12 04-07, Programmed For Special Ops Exhaust 305 $244.00

So possibly a specops muffler!

Now my question is, will this setup be good for 0-9000ft? I live on Maui, and we like to do crater runs, which takes us from sea level up to 9k. Just asking because this is a non stock setup and I don’t want to blow a cylinder in case it can’t handle it and goes lean. Also, it has a K&N air filter for what it’s worth.

TIA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast