Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Differences between 2003 & 2005 XB9

Quote Originally Posted by DSophia View Post
    I see there is a version 2 module that is in stock. Can anyone tell me if this is worth the money if I’ve already got the ECM cable and ecmspy set up? I am unfamiliar. Thanks
    Do you want a wireless set up or a cabled setup? If you are comfortable carrying around a laptop cabled into your bike while riding around datalogging... go for it. If you'd rather have a wireless setup that will interface with an android tablet or phone via Bluetooth, the Buelltooth module is the way to go.

If you are unfamiliar with these basics, you probably shouldnt be playing around with ECMSpy.

Being that you are having these difficulties, I recommend taking a course at the your local community college about the internet and google (or other search engines). Once you master that, you should be able find several sites that will provide instructions on how to use ECMSpy.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Do you want a wireless set up or a cabled setup? If you are comfortable carrying around a laptop cabled into your bike while riding around datalogging... go for it. If you'd rather have a wireless setup that will interface with an android tablet or phone via Bluetooth, the Buelltooth module is the way to go.

If you are unfamiliar with these basics, you probably shouldnt be playing around with ECMSpy.

Being that you are having these difficulties, I recommend taking a course at the your local community college about the internet and google (or other search engines). Once you master that, you should be able find several sites that will provide instructions on how to use ECMSpy.
    You are by far the funniest guy I’ve met on here so far. I can tell which college you decided to attend. Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by DSophia View Post
    You are by far the funniest guy I’ve met on here so far. I can tell which college you decided to attend. Thanks for all the info.
    Im actually an idiot who never made it past the 3rd grade and still has a hard time getting my shoes on the correct feet in the morning. Glad to help.

And I wasnt kidding about not messing around with ECMSpy unless you really know what you are doing. You can do some serious damage. I only use it for setting static timing.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-19-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Im actually an idiot who never made it past the 3rd grade and still has a hard time getting my shoes on the correct feet in the morning. Glad to help.

And I wasnt kidding about not messing around with ECMSpy unless you really know what you are doing. You can do some serious damage. I only use it for setting static timing.
    Yeah, I really only used it to do static timing and reset the TPS. I saw there was a lot of scary functionality in the program. Thanks again

Buelltooth finally arrived. Im still learning my way around it but so far everything looks normal. The voltages and TPD rise and fall smoothly. I replaced the TDS and did a reset. Bike still cuts out at about 40% throttle. Where else should I look?

I forgot to mention that when I bought this bike the previous owner had overfilled the oil by about a quart. It also has a racing exhaust and ECM with some strange wiring. Looks like he had issues with the fan? Any help is appreciated.

Do you have a pic of the wiring? May help to figure out what is going on.

Do you have a pic of the wiring? May help to figure out what is going on.
    I have a spare ECM I put in as well. Same problem. It’s throwing codes 13 and 15.I checked voltage on the O2 sensor. It hit .97v once it warmed up with a little throttle, is this normal on these bikes? Is there another test?
    Attaching image of the wiring.

image.jpg

I’ll have to check my big book of wiring diagrams and trouble codes.

AFV is a very important diagnostic clue. Even though I RARELY recommend changing a tune, I have had bad tunes cut out at hard throttle, like a switch. It's freaky.
    Yes, I know you swapped ECM's, but theres no telling what tune is on them.

The right way is to start with the basics. Intake boot leaks can be found with a spray bottle, if you've had the airbox off, make SURE the base gasket sandwiches the TB and not just pressed down, could be losing spark, could be lean, etc. Narrow it down to at least one system, 98% the ECM's are OK.

You can use the Live Data section of ECMDroid and a handlebar mount to see if the coils cutting out, injectors cutting out, what the O2 is reading, or what the TBS may act differently while running.

Seems daunting, I know. But you are bouncing around right now trying to get lucky. Pick a path, do not skip, do not deviate, and you WILL find it. These are simple beasts and very rewarding to fix (and ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    AFV is a very important diagnostic clue. Even though I RARELY recommend changing a tune, I have had bad tunes cut out at hard throttle, like a switch. It's freaky.
    Yes, I know you swapped ECM's, but theres no telling what tune is on them.

The right way is to start with the basics. Intake boot leaks can be found with a spray bottle, if you've had the airbox off, make SURE the base gasket sandwiches the TB and not just pressed down, could be losing spark, could be lean, etc. Narrow it down to at least one system, 98% the ECM's are OK.

You can use the Live Data section of ECMDroid and a handlebar mount to see if the coils cutting out, injectors cutting out, what the O2 is reading, or what the TBS may act differently while running.

Seems daunting, I know. But you are bouncing around right now trying to get lucky. Pick a path, do not skip, do not deviate, and you WILL find it. These are simple beasts and very rewarding to fix (and ride)
    Thank you for the input, I will slow down and check everything. I’ll admit, it’s a lot more exciting to get lucky than it is to be thorough. 😂
    It is behaving very strangely. Feels like something mechanical since the throttle position is the only factor. I’ve driven it for miles without an issue until I pull the throttle back past 40%. Then the 13 and 15 codes show back up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast