Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between 2003 & 2005 XB9

Quote Originally Posted by DSophia View Post
    EGO Correction is 145%

I’m researching what that means...
    That almost always means the ECM is trying to compensate for low fuel pressure. rev-mo.com/fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by upaero View Post
    That almost always means the ECM is trying to compensate for low fuel pressure. rev-mo.com/fuel.
    Definitely fuel pump or filter related then? Anything else to check out first? The previous owner said he had replaced the pump not long before I bought it...

Definitely fuel pump or filter related then? Anything else to check out first? The previous owner said he had replaced the pump not long before I bought it...
    You could have a good pump, but a bad seal causing internal leakage. Check your pressure. rev-mo.com/fuel.

On my XB with the roached motor, one of the corregated fuel hoses had 2 small hoses in it. The reduction in fuel pressure contributed to the lean issues, compounded by the other issues the bike had most likely resulted in the motor seizing, which ruined the pistons/cylinders and the crank due to spinning the rod bearings. Granted the crank could be saved, but thats going to be a fairly expensive process as the crank will likely need to be shipped to Dark Horse to fix the rod bearings, as I can not find anyone else (locally) who is willing to touch it.

The $25 spent on the Rev Mo fuel pressure gauge could save a lot of headaches, missteps in diagnosis and may could potentially save the motor from a lean mix death.

But sometimes it takes 4 pages for get the point across, LOL. You are an experienced mechanic Barrett, so you know how most people are willing to spend $50... ten times, before spending $200... once. Just add a zero for newer car stuff. Same game, bigger numbers.

I believe any old mechanic is plenty qualified to change careers to Psychiatry (Or Psychology? whichever is the one that gives out the drugs)

Thank you all for your time. I’m running through the fuel system and it seems to be the lines after the fuel pump. Probably injectors too. There’s definitely a learning curve on these bikes, sorry to waste your time on something so simple.

Nothing is ever simple the first time.......asking questions is ok. Can't know everything. learning learning learning
    Unless you do know everything and we quiver at the sight of his name........

No need for any apologies. You asked good questions and got good answers

I hope it doesn't give you any more trouble and you have many years of trouble free riding, these are very basic machines and usually are trouble and maintenance free. Remember they're 15-ish years old though and maintain accordingly

Thank you all for your time. I’m running through the fuel system and it seems to be the lines after the fuel pump. Probably injectors too. There’s definitely a learning curve on these bikes, sorry to waste your time on something so simple.
    I still highly recommend purchasing the fuel pressure gauge from the Buelltooth dude. That will at least verify whether you are getting proper pressure to the rail. From there you at least know you need to either work back towards the pump, or forwards toward the injectors. The Buelltooth dude also offers injector cleaning if that what needs to happen also. I went through Aagaard Moto Foundry to have mine cleaned, and he did a great job as well.

However, it doesnt make a difference how clean or well your injectors flow if the fuel pump isnt up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I still highly recommend purchasing the fuel pressure gauge from the Buelltooth dude. That will at least verify whether you are getting proper pressure to the rail. From there you at least know you need to either work back towards the pump, or forwards toward the injectors. The Buelltooth dude also offers injector cleaning if that what needs to happen also. I went through Aagaard Moto Foundry to have mine cleaned, and he did a great job as well.

However, it doesnt make a difference how clean or well your injectors flow if the fuel pump isnt up to the task.
    Thanks again, I’ll get it ordered. Finally have some time this evening to tear into it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast