Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Differences between 2003 & 2005 XB9

Differences between 2003 & 2005 XB9

Hello all! I’m the proud new owner of a 2005 XB9SX. I fell in love with it immediately. Unfortunately it came with an issue. When accelerating the revs stop at 3000-3500rpm. I’ve reset TPS, static timing, checked for intake leaks, and replaced ignition coil that was reading just under spec. Still an issue. I recently found a 2003 XB9S parts bike a few hours away. Are there enough interchangeable parts on the 2003 to make it worth buying? Thanks for any help, excited to be a part of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DSophia View Post
    Hello all! I’m the proud new owner of a 2005 XB9SX. I fell in love with it immediately. Unfortunately it came with an issue. When accelerating the revs stop at 3000-3500rpm. I’ve reset TPS, static timing, checked for intake leaks, and replaced ignition coil that was reading just under spec. Still an issue. I recently found a 2003 XB9S parts bike a few hours away. Are there enough interchangeable parts on the 2003 to make it worth buying? Thanks for any help, excited to be a part of the forum.
    You probably should buy a Buelltooth module and get a copy of ECMDroid so you can do some data logging on the bike to see what is going on at that point. It could be fuel pump volume, or something like someone changed the tuning to have the rev limiter cut out at 3500. Without more detail its difficult to tell what is going on.

Before you ask "who would do that to a Buell?"

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...264058144.html

Most 2003 parts should cross over, but not all. If you buy that parts bike, the only parts you will need are the ones that will be different. But, I am looking for the headlight castings for a Lightning, which may help make the decision to purchase it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You probably should buy a Buelltooth module and get a copy of ECMDroid so you can do some data logging on the bike to see what is going on at that point. It could be fuel pump volume, or something like someone changed the tuning to have the rev limiter cut out at 3500. Without more detail its difficult to tell what is going on.

Most 2003 parts should cross over, but not all. If you buy that parts bike, the only parts you will need are the ones that will be different. But, I am looking for the headlight castings for a Lightning, which may help make the decision to purchase it easier.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have new info to help diagnose. I just drove it a few miles to make sure it was getting clean fuel and realized it would rev well above 3500 as long as the throttle wasn’t pulled back to that sweet spot. Does this mean it’s the TPS since it’s directly linked to the position of the throttle?

The parts I’m most interested in at the moment are a seat, tank/intake cover, windshield, gas cap, tires, and maybe the transmission. Should all of that fit?

like 34:19 said, get a buelltooth dongle and ECMDroid app. Unless you're leaving stuff out, you seem to be jumping around and throwing parts at an issue without knowing what it is (ask me how I know...). The guys on here are super helpful, but you need to give good guidance as to how you ruled out certain things, and why you suspected certain issues. Revs dropping could be multiple things. You mentioned ignition, have you checked plugs? I know a common issue happening to a lot of us is fuel pump failure. Also check whether your voltage is within the proper range.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have new info to help diagnose. I just drove it a few miles to make sure it was getting clean fuel and realized it would rev well above 3500 as long as the throttle wasn’t pulled back to that sweet spot. Does this mean it’s the TPS since it’s directly linked to the position of the throttle?

The parts I’m most interested in at the moment are a seat, tank/intake cover, windshield, gas cap, tires, and maybe the transmission. Should all of that fit?
    Yes, those should all fit.

Seats are still available new. Some of the tank/intake covers are as well. Windshields are hard to find, gas cap is still available new. The transmission should fit, but realize you need to take the bike completely apart (literally) to get at the transmission. So, unless you're willing to jump through those hoops, you may want to reconsider. This motor is not a Sportster motor with a trapdoor.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    like 34:19 said, get a buelltooth dongle and ECMDroid app. Unless you're leaving stuff out, you seem to be jumping around and throwing parts at an issue without knowing what it is (ask me how I know...). The guys on here are super helpful, but you need to give good guidance as to how you ruled out certain things, and why you suspected certain issues. Revs dropping could be multiple things. You mentioned ignition, have you checked plugs? I know a common issue happening to a lot of us is fuel pump failure. Also check whether your voltage is within the proper range.
    Sorry, I have left out some info. They fuel pump, and plugs were recently replaced. After I bought the bike I found that the oil was overfilled by about a quart. I have an ecm cable and have dabbled in ecmspy enough to do a TPS reset and check that it was sending the correct signal. So far the only part I’ve replaced is the ignition coil, but only because it had a low ohm reading. The bike runs great between 0-40% throttle. Anywhere past that and the engine cuts out. I’ve read that the O2 sensor could have a hand in this as well? Thanks for your reply.

Yes, those should all fit.

Seats are still available new. Some of the tank/intake covers are as well. Windshields are hard to find, gas cap is still available new. The transmission should fit, but realize you need to take the bike completely apart (literally) to get at the transmission. So, unless you're willing to jump through those hoops, you may want to reconsider. This motor is not a Sportster motor with a trapdoor.
    I’m not excited to break it apart to do any work, but would be nice to have an extra set of parts for $500. I’d just like to know it’s worth the investment. I’ve owned very efficient and powerful bikes but this one is by far my favorite. They really do have soul, I’d like to keep it for a very long time.

I’m having trouble finding a BuellTooth module, the site that carries them is sold out. Any leads on where to get one?

I see there is a version 2 module that is in stock. Can anyone tell me if this is worth the money if I’ve already got the ECM cable and ecmspy set up? I am unfamiliar. Thanks

I’m having trouble finding a BuellTooth module,
    Give up now. A google search of "BuellTooth" has the first listing of where to get one.

Capture.JPG

the site that carries them is sold out.
    Funny, it says "add to cart" and not "sold out"

buelltooth.JPG

Any leads on where to get one?
    www.buelltooth.com

or you can buy an Arduino or other brand of Bluetooth project board, wire in a 5v power regulator and source the correct molex and pins and build one yourself and save big $$$$$.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast