Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Ulysses Intake Manifold Seals

2006 Ulysses Intake Manifold Seals

Hey gang,

From anyone who's replaced the intake manifold seals, can you advise me of any catch 22s and suggest a list of tools? The manual makes it look suspiciously easy.

It's my next challenge, and I'm wondering on a scale of 1-10 how difficult the job can be.

Sincerely,
    Mr.B

It’s not a difficult job, but access is very limited. I had some old very cheap 1/2 and 13mm wrenches I cut down with a 4” cutting disc so they could fit. Some have used the C shaped wrenches also.

Some recommend the James blue gaskets with the lip, but I find them to be too difficult to line up and get into place on an XB with the motor in place. If you are dead set on using them, I’d recommend keeping a set of stock seals on backup just in case the James blue wont work for you. Even from the dealer, the stock seals are cheap and usually can be returned if not needed.

A light coating of grease on the seals also helps everything find its home easier as well.

Lastly , whatever you do, do not let Cooter come over to help. He is a jerk and will drink all of your beer!

Difficulty is probably a 3-4 but is time consuming as f*ck, especially your first time.

RTFM.
    Buellmods.com

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    It’s not a difficult job, but access is very limited. I had some old very cheap 1/2 and 13mm wrenches I cut down with a 4” cutting disc so they could fit. Some have used the C shaped wrenches also.

Some recommend the James blue gaskets with the lip, but I find them to be too difficult to line up and get into place on an XB with the motor in place. If you are dead set on using them, I’d recommend keeping a set of stock seals on backup just in case the James blue wont work for you. Even from the dealer, the stock seals are cheap and usually can be returned if not needed.

A light coating of grease on the seals also helps everything find its home easier as well.

Lastly , whatever you do, do not let Cooter come over to help. He is a jerk and will drink all of your beer!

Difficulty is probably a 3-4 but is time consuming as f*ck, especially your first time.

Would you happen to know off hand the part number for the stock seals? Once again, I'm riding an 06' Ulysses.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    RTFM.
    Buellmods.com
    Already done so, RMFP. "Read My Flipping Post"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buell Man View Post
    Would you happen to know off hand the part number for the stock seals? Once again, I'm riding an 06' Ulysses.

Thanks so much for your reply!
    I dont know the part number off hand, but there is a parts manual on buellmods.com and on Harleys webpage in the service section, or you can look them up on St Paul or Twin motorcycles website.

Or just go into a Harley dealer and ask for intake seals for a late model Sportster. In that case, you could also look them up on Ronnies HD website or any other Harley site that has an online parts catalog.

I'd be willing to bet a google search for "2006 buell ulysses intake seals" would probably take me right to the answer.

And sometimes I realize that the amount of typing I do on this website, is much much more than just typing "www.google.com" and "2006 buell ulysses intake seals" and actually doing the google search myself and reporting back my findings, but I dont work here on Mondays anymore. I tend to believe the saying of "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime". However, most people get upset when I try to "teach them to fish".
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-22-2021 at 07:43 PM.

PART NUMBERS:

OEM part #--26995-86B.......in stock at most all H-D dealers. sold individually
    JAMES part #--26995-97-X....available thru several H-D online dealers and ebay.

You'll need this:
    IMG_8685.jpg
    IMG_8686.jpg
    But you know that, because you read the manual with the step-by-step instructions, pictures, and the list of tools... So you already know if theres any catch 22's.

Anything else we can help you with?

Which one of the Yost wrenches do you recommend? They sell (2), the wrench, and the wrench w/ ball end. Why do they have the (2)instead of just one?
    Last edited by TheWood; 02-23-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWood View Post
    Which one do you recommend? They have (2), the wrench, and the wrench w/ ball end?
    Most of the wrenches have 2 ends, one with a ball end and one with a regular end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast