Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to me 2006 Buell Bast!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    FYI, this bike does not have a separate transmission case.
    Oh-- when Barrett said "check both the primary/trans and engine oil levels" I assumed that meant there were separate cases. Is there separate oil but not separate cases?

FYI, I like single cylinder bikes as well, and am considering a Husqvarna Vitpilen. I've always thought the Savage 650's were pretty awesome. What is a SR400?
    I love absolutely everything about singles except the sound. There's no way around it-- they sound like lawn mowers when idling. But I'll take that one downside to get all the other upsides.

The SR400 is from Yamaha: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...e/models/sr400

I really like the Vitpilen, but man, reliability seems problematic on Husky's and KTMs. On the big Svartpilen 401 thread on advrider, the guy who started the thread had his engine implode at about 500 miles. Not good. And they're expensive too. I don't ever see myself spending that kind of money on any bike. However, the Vitpilen is definitely a bike that's right up my alley, so I'm definitely interested in it.

You're probably going to laugh at this, but I swear that I consider the Blast to be a poor man's Vitpilen 401! There is a little similarity in the styling, and they have roughly the same displacement singles. I would say that if the Vitpilen 401 is a new Miata, the Blast is a 1977 MGB.

FYI, someone is selling a Pro Series exhaust on eBay.
    Thanks-- I'll need to study exhausts to determine exactly what I want. Mostly looking for weight reduction (I like my bikes light!) and low cost.

PS. I get having a busy job and limited time to work on bikes. Welcome to my world.
    I guess we're Busy Buell Blast Brothers!

PS. Read up on Blast mods and advice on buellridersonline.com. Our good friend, jetlee is the bossman over there and does a fine job keeping the wisdom of everything Blast in one spot.
    I have been to that site, but posted here first because it seemed like this site had a little more activity. Maybe I'll post an intro at the other one as well.

PS. Also check to make sure the auto enrichment circuit is working correctly (exclusive to the Blast, its basically and auto choke).
    I'm kind of suspicious of the auto enricher, and I asked the previous owner about it. She said it worked great. I'd prefer a manual choke. On my KLR650 (pretty much the same carb) I removed the handlebar cable for the manual choke because it got kinked. In order to simplify, I installed a pull-out knob right on the carb to do the enriching.

Due to the way it is set up, it doesn't look like the Blast auto enricher can be swapped out as easily. Even if it was, the way the carb is twisted to the right, not sure that would possible to even reach a knob, so there would need to be a cable.

Dealing with things like that is what I meant when I said I only do mods to remove restrictions and/or make a bike more reliable. An auto enricher looks to me like a future failure point-- I think I'd like to get it converted to a bulletproof manual system. But that will come later after I've run it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    Oh-- when Barrett said "check both the primary/trans and engine oil levels" I assumed that meant there were separate cases. Is there separate oil but not separate cases?
    The case is divided. Its a single casting, but the fluids dont mix like a "normal" bike.

I love absolutely everything about singles except the sound. There's no way around it-- they sound like lawn mowers when idling. But I'll take that one downside to get all the other upsides.
    I'd definitely look into that Pro Series muffler if I were you. Its going fairly cheap now.

The SR400 is from Yamaha: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...e/models/sr400

I really like the Vitpilen, but man, reliability seems problematic on Husky's and KTMs. On the big Svartpilen 401 thread on advrider, the guy who started the thread had his engine implode at about 500 miles. Not good. And they're expensive too. I don't ever see myself spending that kind of money on any bike. However, the Vitpilen is definitely a bike that's right up my alley, so I'm definitely interested in it.
    Agreed!

You're probably going to laugh at this, but I swear that I consider the Blast to be a poor man's Vitpilen 401! There is a little similarity in the styling, and they have roughly the same displacement singles. I would say that if the Vitpilen 401 is a new Miata, the Blast is a 1977 MGB.
    It would have been neat to see Buell do a XB-ish single, rather than cut costs for the Blast. One could build an XB with a Blast motor, which would be neat and cool, but why neuter a XB?

Thanks-- I'll need to study exhausts to determine exactly what I want. Mostly looking for weight reduction (I like my bikes light!) and low cost.

I guess we're Busy Buell Blast Brothers!

I have been to that site, but posted here first because it seemed like this site had a little more activity. Maybe I'll post an intro at the other one as well.
    from what I understand jetlee has turned off registration, so the site is technically "read only" for us outsiders. he does make a random appearance from time to time and is a pretty smart cookie. Cooter is pretty smart about Blasts too, but he just drinks all your beer and messes up the garage. He is a jerk.

I'm kind of suspicious of the auto enricher, and I asked the previous owner about it. She said it worked great. I'd prefer a manual choke. On my KLR650 (pretty much the same carb) I removed the handlebar cable for the manual choke because it got kinked. In order to simplify, I installed a pull-out knob right on the carb to do the enriching.

Due to the way it is set up, it doesn't look like the Blast auto enricher can be swapped out as easily. Even if it was, the way the carb is twisted to the right, not sure that would possible to even reach a knob, so there would need to be a cable.

Dealing with things like that is what I meant when I said I only do mods to remove restrictions and/or make a bike more reliable. An auto enricher looks to me like a future failure point-- I think I'd like to get it converted to a bulletproof manual system. But that will come later after I've run it a bit.
    Agreed, it would seem like it should be easily converted to a manual choke.

I'd definitely look into that Pro Series muffler if I were you. Its going fairly cheap now.
    I see the muffler you're talking about on Ebay, and I did a search on Pro Series exhausts. There are a couple of forum reports that say the muffle is great, but that it "fatigues to death" and the inserts degrade in 5-10,000 miles. Consistent with those reports, the one listed on ebay is described as having a rattle in one of the inserts.

He also says that his plan was to cut them open and install better, quieter inserts, but he sold the bike and now is selling the muffler.

What's your advice on the durability of this muffler? Would you agree with replacing the inserts? If so, any idea which would be best?

IT HAS A KICKSTARTER! Holy crap... where is Cooter?

However, with a MSRP of $5999, its a hard sell against the Vitpilen at $5099.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-22-2021 at 09:36 PM.

I see the muffler you're talking about on Ebay, and I did a search on Pro Series exhausts. There are a couple of forum reports that say the muffle is great, but that it "fatigues to death" and the inserts degrade in 5-10,000 miles. Consistent with those reports, the one listed on ebay is described as having a rattle in one of the inserts.

He also says that his plan was to cut them open and install better, quieter inserts, but he sold the bike and now is selling the muffler.

What's your advice on the durability of this muffler? Would you agree with replacing the inserts? If so, any idea which would be best?
    I have no idea of this stuff.

IT HAS A KICKSTARTER! Holy crap... where is Cooter?
    It has *only* a kick starter-- no electric start at all!

However, with a MSRP of $5999, its a hard sell against the Vitpilen at $5099.
    They quit bringing them into the U.S. in 2017, so it's used only on that bike now.

I have no idea of this stuff.
    Fair enough-- neither do I!

I'm waiting for someone to ask about drum brakes. Now THATS real motorcycling!

I am happy to report that the Blast yielded to my awesome mechanical skills and is now running.

Ok, just kidding. The truth? It warmed up to 50 today, I rolled it out of the garage, hit the starter and after about 10 seconds of cranking it fired right up and ran great!

It's still pretty wet/salty/sandy on the roads so I couldn't ride it very hard, but I did ride it around for about half an hour. It runs great and the transmission has totally quit sticking (even with the warmer temp it was still stuck today before I started and rode it).

Today was the first time I ever rode a Blast, and I can tell you that I really liked it. Power was good and I love the sound. It sounds a little lawnmower-ish at idle, but just off idle and as it revs it sounds great. Much better than the typical single. I like the small size and very slightly sporty riding position. That position may be due to the fact that mine doesn't have the stock handle bar-- it looks like a dirt-bike bar.

The only problems right at the moment is that the neutral light is on all the time and it needs new tires.

Can't wait for the streets to dry up and for the sand to be cleared away. As I wait for that, I'll work on the neutral light and change tires.

I'm dying to get riding this thing for real!

And, since I'm in such a good mood about this bike, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on that Pro-Series exhaust on Ebay.

Thanks for the heads up on that, 34nineteen!

Good for you Jim! Let me know what you need. I have a pile of Blast parts and hopefully didn't just toss the tires. I'll go check

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast