Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok...I Effed Up

Ok...I Effed Up

So, i have been riding, but not taking the time to finish my paint mod, or tail mod (fire to light). I have. Been riding, especially since the roads in Cali all have had Covid for the past year.

Well, i have done probably 100 oil changes with 10+ on my Bolt. I have always torqued it to the spec 26-29 ft/lb and I stripped the threads on the drain. After reading through befire I asked this question, i see that the rule of thumb is to hand tighten. SMH

My question is do should I take a go at re-threading or should i just buy a new swingarm, as its only like $100 bucks or so on the ebay.

Gotta be honest, never done either and i throughly expect 34 to tell me ghat replacing the rear pegs should fix it and cooter to post a thread, already explaining the best option/process. And i welcome them both with open arms.

Lay it on me.

Mine was JB welded in place before I changed out the swinging arm. Just need to pull an oil line. 29 ft/lb seems a bit high.

My personal choice would be to re thread it. Either a different sized plug or helicoil it.(unless theres some reason I'm unaware of that makes it more difficult on this part) I could have either done in an half hour, I'm guessing r+i time for the swingarm is a bit longer

Time-sert is slightly better than heli-coil but either would be fine.

The well documented spec error in the manual is supposed to be In/Ibs, not Ft/lbs, but either way its an o-ring sealing no pressure, in aluminum. Hand tight + 1/2 turn is plenty

No worries man, it's a Buell-izm. Quirky bikes for quirky people

Actually, here is what you need.

Oil pan Thread Repair kit 1/2-20# 0122A Time-Sert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1L7YY2...263X2SNA4CYHN7

I bought this for my Ss when it came to me a pre-stripped plug. I loaned it to another member who basically ehhh... we’ll say effed it up.

You could also just go to an auto parts store and pick up a generic oversized drain plug also.

Sadly, St. Paul is out of the drop pegs for XB’s and i have a feeling they may be gone forever.

What year is your bike? I may have a spare swingarm I’d sell to you dirt cheap if push comes to shove.

As always, thank you all.

I ordered some time serts and shoukd have them by wednesday. I watched a video of a guy using them on a honda Odyssey. Seemed decently simple. My next post might be me negotiating with 34 for the replacement swingarm.

Ill respond in a few days.

Yeah, seemed way too much, but i do numbers, not metals.
    Never had an issue before, but must have just softened each time i crushed it in there. Lol

I guess the one positive is i got my drop pegs last year. Woo hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg302000 View Post
    So, i have been riding, but not taking the time to finish my paint mod, or tail mod (fire to light). I have. Been riding, especially since the roads in Cali all have had Covid for the past year.

Well, i have done probably 100 oil changes with 10+ on my Bolt. I have always torqued it to the spec 26-29 ft/lb and I stripped the threads on the drain. After reading through befire I asked this question, i see that the rule of thumb is to hand tighten. SMH

My question is do should I take a go at re-threading or should i just buy a new swingarm, as its only like $100 bucks or so on the ebay.

Gotta be honest, never done either and i throughly expect 34 to tell me ghat replacing the rear pegs should fix it and cooter to post a thread, already explaining the best option/process. And i welcome them both with open arms.

Lay it on me.
    I made the same mistake. I have a timesert kit if you want to buy. I'll sell it for $80 shipped.

Drain the oil, lay the bike on it's side for the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    I made the same mistake. I have a timesert kit if you want to buy. I'll sell it for $80 shipped.

Drain the oil, lay the bike on it's side for the procedure.
    I've heard of this technique also, but it sort of spooked me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast