Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a tall guy gotta do??

Whats a tall guy gotta do??

Greetings!

6'6" here. 240lbs, 36" inseam. Current ride is a 1978 CB750 going through a cafe build now. The only reason I mention my current bike is for anyone that has any experience with them and can compare them to a Lightning.

I'd really like a XB12 Lightning. I've heard great things about them for years and would love to have a go but only if there are others with my build that have successfully made it work. Not looking for a commuter here. just a fun weekend ride.

Any hope?

Get a long wheelbase model and put a set of 2" drop pegs, such as those from Knight Design as well as an aftermarket bar with less sweep and more width. You may want to consider the Rental Streetfighter.

Lightning Long is tall, Uly is the tallest from my experience.

I have the same inseam as you.
    An SCG is comically short, an S is ok with a tall seat/ drop pegs/short bars, a Firebolt sits well with the wider seat and clipon combo, but an Ss or STT is the bees knees

The SS frame is longer for better reach, the Renthals 34:19 mentioned above are great and the RC bend is good too (check the Dave Moss videos for how bar angle should line up with your knuckles), well worth the $40 just to try. I'm running the Crossroads clip-ons now and love them for leaning me even more perfectly into the unprotected wind for long stretches above 85mph. (Allegedly)

The Buell OE 1" or the Knight design 2" drop pegs are wonderful for keeping your big knees in the pocket of the frame instead of laying on the pucks, I grind the 2" a bit, but not crazy and worth the extra comfort.

Add a tall seat if you like, the stock one is pretty comfy, but I went with the STT flat one and it doesn't sit you in the pocket and support your tailbone, but it's like riding a couch.

FYI, I 'think' the later Ss's were 1" taller? Someone smarter should confirm or make fun of me. I'm currently looking for a Uly rear shock to see if its the same height as the Ss/STT but will add remote preload adjustment.

They were a little taller. Thats why I was looking for a 2006 when I bought mine.

I know the Streetfighter bar will fit, but the cables will be at their length limits.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-23-2021 at 09:27 PM.

I just picked up a set of flexx bars from Fasst company. I've run these on enduros and quads in the past. Should be a good fit on an XB.

6'4" here - 205 lbs. I have a 2007 xb12Ss that is quite comfortable. I'm 48 years old

Don't be jealous 34:19! Willy still needs people like you to make chocolate and sing those songs.

Damn! Touché my friend, nicely played

https://youtu.be/05fX9mSrv3M
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-27-2021 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm currently looking for a Uly rear shock to see if its the same height as the Ss/STT but will add remote preload adjustment.
    I'm not sure if it will help you or not, but I have a brand new Purple Hyperpro 1" lowering rear coil spring for the Uly. It measures approx. 8-13/16"(225mm)unloaded. The purple coating was chipped up a bit in shipping, and they sent me a new one(spring only).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast