Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franken-buell - differences between S/SCG frame and Ss?

Franken-buell - differences between S/SCG frame and Ss?

What engine mount/body issues will I run into swapping over Ss engine/ECU/everything to SCG frame? Do I need S/SCG engine mounting bracket, cylinder head bracket, etc??? What other issues?

I've an Ss that I put a Firebolt fairing on, shorter S seat rails (without any cutting, etc. just a riser with a space right now). I want to lower it down in the front with SCG forks and keep the long Ss swingarm. Then I'm done, DONE. Actually found SCG forks after many years of thinking about this, but got the smaller SCG triple tree and learned the turn-stop is different on the Ss than on the S/SCG frames.

The reason I'm looking to get an S/SCG frame and swap over the Ss engine etc. is because it solves two issues:

1. Gets me the SCG low front forks, long Ss swing arm look. Ok, done
    2. The shorter S seat/rails on the Ss was accomplished with some riser plates I made. No cutting, made it to bolt right up, but there is a 1" gap where a riser would otherwise be between the frame/rails. Looks ok, and its' solid, but has always been an interim measure I wanted to otherwise solve.

Might need a shorter stand. Can't think of much else, like do my air scoops on both sides fit?

You will want to measure your Ss forks to see if they are the same size as the SCG forks. or make sure you get the upper and lower clamps from the SCG. I'm pretty sure the Ss got the bigger forks, but not sure when that actually happened. A google search should reveal the results.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You will want to measure your Ss forks to see if they are the same size as the SCG forks. or make sure you get the upper and lower clamps from the SCG. I'm pretty sure the Ss got the bigger forks, but not sure when that actually happened. A google search should reveal the results.
    They aren't, I knew this and found an SCG lower clamp that works with the SCG forks. What I didn't know is that the lower fork has a different steering stop design - the pain is real:
    lower clamp.jpg
    Last edited by ROOK; 03-08-2021 at 09:47 PM.

You sure thats for a SCG and not an 1125?

or the silver one isnt off of a Ulysses?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-08-2021 at 10:00 PM.

OK, so when I googled the pic you provided, it appears that the silver one fits a :

2006-2008 XB12SS

2007-2008 XB12STT

2006-2007 XB12X

2008 XB12XT

are the clamp holes the same size between the two? I've heard stories that although the fork went from 41 to 43 to 47mm the OD of the clamps remained the same.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-08-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Wouldn't buying a Firebolt, bolting on the S seat rails you have, and the rear Ss swing arm you already have... net you the same end result? But much much much easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Wouldn't buying a Firebolt, bolting on the S seat rails you have, and the rear Ss swing arm you already have... net you the same end result? But much much much easier?
    yep, albeit a few grand more than an S/SCG Frame. but yeah. I own an Ss right now, and I can get a frame used for a few hundred bucks.

The silver clamp is from my Ss - fits the larger Ss/Uly/S forks with a particular turnstop set up that I didn't know was unique to the Ss/Uly, etc. The black clamp is the one I picked up recently on Ebay for the SCG forks that fit perfectly. The issue is that the turn stop on the SCG clamp is different than the Ss clamp that the frame is built for, it literally hits the turn stop and won't seat all of the way into the frame neck.

I accumulated the forks one at a time over time, used and a little nicked up but good and not leaking. just recently got the clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    OK, so when I googled the pic you provided, it appears that the silver one fits a :
    are the clamp holes the same size between the two? I've heard stories that although the fork went from 41 to 43 to 47mm the OD of the clamps remained the same.
    nope, not the same. I knew I needed an SCG clamp for SCG forks. Didn't know the turnstop wouldn't allow the clamp to seat into the frame neck.

lower clamp red.jpg
    Last edited by ROOK; 03-09-2021 at 04:44 AM. Reason: pic

Yo, my man... you are all over the place. I’m going to try to answer your questions strait to the point.
    Yes, you can put a “ss” motor into any frame. Only issues would be the swingarm arm and rear shock. Depending on the model frame you will need to use that model swingarm.
    To go more in-depth.
    If you use a standard frame 03-09 Xb9 or xb12 firebolt, Lightning, scg frame you can use 06 and up swingarms for that model.
    The reason for the later 06 and up swingarm is because you already have the later rubber oil lines.
    Now if you want to use the “ss” swingarm with a standard frame you will need to find one of my old shock spacers, make one or buy a longer rear shock
    Now the front forks..
    the top triple trees are the same all the way across the board for all models and years.
    Now the bottom triples. The standard frames have two different size bottom trees. 41mm for all 2003 Models and all years scg models. 43mm from 2004-2009.
    Now the 2006-2009 long frames “ss” “ully” have a Different 43mm lower triple tree with a different degree so you do not want to grind the lower center stop to use it on a standard frame.

Now you obviously know the standard tall does not go onto the long frame without mods and same goes for long frames Tails do not go onto standard frames without modification.

Now I did not get into 1125 front or rears because there are obvious differences.

Now your easy way would be to lower your “ss” suspension and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    OMG this is SO exhausting. and it's only 0800hrs. Chrysler!
    I know.. a quick google search will yield information of a company that offers "Tailor made Triple Tree kit for every front fork".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast