Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franken-buell - differences between S/SCG frame and Ss?

Aarons All Buell Cycle Salvage in Phoenix, AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Aarons All Buell Cycle Salvage in Phoenix, AZ?

I keep those parts at my USA headquarters/distribution center in El Segundo, CA. Please send all correspondence to that address.

Yeah, I’m all over the place. I should have title this differently, explained where I’m at before asking about one specific part of a larger set of options I’m looking at.

To start over:
    I’ve got an Ss with two significant mods:
    Firebolt fairing and front swap
    The smaller/shorter Lightning seat rail

I’m not entirely happy with one aspect of the lightning seat rail mod. How I got it on an Ss frame was by extension plates, leaving a gap of about ¾ to 1 inch between the frame and rail. The plates are thick and bolted up snug and the seat is structurally strong, but I’ve not yet filled that gap because I’ve not found something that looks the way I want. I don’t want the look of the risers or something else not stock.

Then I got finally found a 2nd used SCG fork for the last mod I want, a lowered front end. At that point I also said screw it and bought a new bottom clamp. When I got it, I realized I’d need to machine off the outer turn/bump stops. The clamp will hold the SCG forks but doesn’t fit the Ss frame requiring inner turn/bump stops.

I could machine them off and add inner bump stops and be good. No issues, it’s lowered, and done.

Although, this:
    -It’s Oregon. It’ll rain here for two more months. I’ve got time to pull it all apart

-I’ve got a line on a used SCG frame with clear title. It’s not the price I want it at yet, but might be able to get there.

-It would be great to get everything professionally painted. I haven’t really thought about this seriously because I’ve had no reason to pull it completely apart and it may cost more than I want to spend, but what the hell.

If I just went with the SCG frame and swap over everything from the Ss: swingarm, engine and all, I’d have what I want virtually stock fitment aside from the shock spacers you mentioned:
    -Lowered look with a long swingarm
    -Firebolt front
    -Short Lightning seat rails and seat that fits stock on the frame
    -Painted?

This is why I was asking if there was any other incompatibility issues in pulling the engine from the Ss and rebuilding an SCG with long swing arm. At the end of the day I’ll stop dreaming and machine off the bump stops, screw in new ones to fit. Which was probably what I needed to hear anyway.

Lets Party

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.25.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.21.58 PM.png

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12