Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandoras box..or throttle.

Pandoras box..or throttle.

So today I rolled out my 2003 xb9s that I bought and abruptly left behind as I moved. I put less than 200 miles on it. I bought it used with 29000mi on it. I checked the oil, new rear tire, and rode it then I was gone. Fast forward 2 years here I am, got the bike in the trailer brought it home. First nice day here in NY was almost 60 today in upstate. I rolled it out of the trailer. I had a mental list of items to address from memory.
    1: sluggish throttle actuation, figured cables bad or bound.
    2: oil / primary/ filter change
    3: replace exhaust stud on front cylinder. (I've already rotated the motor and replaced the rear's before I rode it once.)
    4: figure out a intermittent stutter while crusing(50-65mph)

Oh boy...I don't know whether to be impressed, or disgusted. First while the oil was draining I pulled the throttle tube / start /KS off the handle bar. I have no idea how I never really noticed this, but my my..
    https://imgur.com/gallery/STF7rNz
    So new throttle cables are now on the way.

The primary oil looked like spoiled milk, the engine oil looked fair albeit some concerning metal shavings on the plug, smelled a bit like gas, and filter was on just right. 2.5qt-Drag specialties synthetic v-twin 20w-50, Napa filter-1394, and 1qt 20w-50 drag specialties v-twin synthetic in the primary.

Behind the wind screen? I found about 8 wires that are crimp connected and electrical tapped by what I assume was a young child.

The airfilter base has 2 holes where I assume the breathers used to enter which are open allowing moar power by pulling in super hot air from above the back cylinder.

The "breather" setup was using a 3/4" hose wrapped around the left side of the throttle body, PUSHING ON THE THROTTLE CABLES.

A random wire tucked in by the shock, that was cut. I traced it out to be a ground wire for the fork assy. I'm surprised it's only 18ga.

And an open port on the right side of the throttle body, maybe 1/8 tubing sized right side. No idea, haven't looked in my service manual yet.

On a brighter note. I'm glad to find out I have newer drive pulleys with the updated belt. 0500.1AAE

And after some fresh gas, a completely dead battery, and a jump pack. It fired up relatively quick.
    I pulled the coil plug and cranked for about 30s before I tried to actually start it. It would stutter every 10s or so cause the jump pack would reset. The battery was flat. 0. So it was running off the jump pack.
    Xb9s https://imgur.com/gallery/Oga5WCK

stuff on the way-
    Replacement pegs
    Replacement throttle cables
    New battery
    Arp exhaust studs (manifold bolt kit)

Stuff I have yet to do / have
    Yzf 03 motion motionpro throttle tube- if I need it
    Jims drill jig
    Buelltooth tps/ troubleshoot

Stuff I'm thinking about
    -the metal on my oil plug.
    -custom bracket for hella 60mm hi/low lamps
    -if I should get a stabilizer for my commute. 40mi each way
    -maybe I should buy a newer bike. (I really enjoy working on my stuff, so I doubt it)

Anyways I'll be updating with more pictures. Like of all the other forehead smacking stuff I found. At least it came with 3 seats, and I didn't pay much for it. But, still.
    Last edited by TheJmann; 03-11-2021 at 12:48 AM.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have it handled, 2 years aint so bad but still very rough on fuel pumps. Lately the outlet lines have been getting pinholes and pumps are failing. Barrett on here is a great source for QUALITY rebuild kits and assemblies. Don't forget they're 20 years old!

You shouldn't need a steering stabilizer, but I love mine and it helps the falling into corners feeling with a old squared off front tire:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...teering-damper

Yes plug the holes in the airbox base, yes they were for breathers.

You can check that open port in the TB (ported vacuum source for CA and some Euro models) but 99% it's plugged internally (not drilled) and doesn't need a cap. You can cap it anyway for 2¢ if it make you feel better, because why not.

Milky gas smelling oil is common for something that sat. Don't worry about that or the shavings (unless it looks like Beakers hair?) until the next oil change, which should be soon.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 6.53.55 PM.png

Theres an available Buell LED replacement lights and housing assembly that bolts on and gets good reviews.
    https://www.amazon.com/KUQIQI-headli...5431075&sr=8-2

Sure! Buy a newer bike! Buy them all!

34:19 does.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-11-2021 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks for the welcome!
    Yeah had a few beakers hair on the oil plug.. oil change after the first 250mi, then 1000. Including the primary. This fall is getting a full tear down.

I saw your dampner setup and will most likely be going that route. Great diy design!

As the headlights I will prototype mounts with my 3d printers and after I finish will be offering the mount printed in ABS. Lights+mount my cost should be under $100.

I only contributed the locking allen to the damper design, the OP of the thread figured out the rest of it. Odd guy who eventually got banned, but he had some good ideas to share on occasion. The chinese damper is on bike #2 now and still going strong! I actually think the Ohlins I put on the EBR is wearing out, now wouldn't that be funny... (rhetorical). On the cheap damper, the fender gets pretty close but should clear on an S, I wouldn't recommend it on an Scg.

That would bet super cool of you! I'm gonna try printing ABS on my open bed printer, and I'm aware of some of the pitfalls, but have some Buell projects in PLA now

Welcome to the forum, sounds to me like you got your build all set up. Here in central Jersey I go through a lot of traffic commuting and the only time I feel like I needed a steering damper was going slow on small tight streets doing right and left turns but never enough to tip the desire to build Cooter's version but I am a lazy person , this was on the SS. I don't seem to have this problem on the Ully at all, if fact it seems to really like turning sharp into slow turns maybe it's the extra weight ?
    I have those headlights in the link Cooter put up, while always better to make your own, I do love these headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    I have those headlights in the link Cooter put up, while always better to make your own, I do love these headlights.
    I am planning on buying a set per your recommendation.

I think you will like them a lot, through the few years I've been a Bueller the only sore bone I've had when it comes to complaints were the headlights, that is not the case anymore, after you get them please let me know what you think.

Thanks njloco! I'll be posting pics of the headlights but that's later this year. As for the dampner I'll do without for now and install later if I desire..(I will at some point).

Can anyone verify they primary locking tool dimensions? I am going to pull the primary cover and verify torque / red loctite my flywheel nut as well. Dimensions I have are 4-1/8"L x 1"w with 30⁰ bevel opposing sides?

Also my replacement buelltooth came in, I have stored codes :
    23: injector 1 short to ground/open
    32: injector 2 short to ground/broken wire

These codes were in stored not current, I'm thinking it was due to running my bike off a jump pack that would reset every 10s while I had it idling to get up to temp for the earl change. Because my battery was reading literally 0, battery since be replaced.

My fuel pump is...very loud. I have had walbro 255lph and they where whiney. It's always sounded like this but I have never inquired if it's "normal". Obviously I only hear it with ignition on to get fuel pressure before starting.

Cooter, I highly suggest trying petg with your open bed. I switched to petg for majority of my printing ( 5 printers) and while it was another learning curve the **** is soo strong. All my printers besides 1 is open bed, 60c bed 240c hotend and 30% part fan and the stuff is ridiculously strong. And same cost as pla, overhangs are the only downside.
    Last edited by TheJmann; 03-18-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks so much for the details, I'll give it a shot!

No problem, message me if you have any questions on it. You don't get the toxic fumes with petg either

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast