Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandoras box..or throttle.

also, if you're going to drain the forks, stop by an auto parts store and see if you can find an empty gallon jug of antifreeze or oil. I cut a hole out of the side to sit the fork leg upside down to let the fork oil drain into it. You will want to try and cycle the damper but it will be difficult to fully do so while to fork is still assembled.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-26-2021 at 12:04 AM.

COOTER! Why didn't you warn me not to ask! I almost feel bad for your garage 34. You should start a YouTube series 'BUELLPOCOLYPSE"

34 with the hacks and tricks! Thanks again!

Your feeding him

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    i AGREE ABOUT FORK OIL BEING FORK OIL, BUT NO POINT IS RISKING AN ISSUE IF YOU DONT HAVE TO. THE HD STUFF IS PRETTY INEXPENSIVE, AND WILL LIKELY HAVE TO LIVE IN THERE FOR ANOTHER 15 YEARS.

uNLESS i HAD A FEELING THE OLD OIL WAS ANOTHER BRAND (LIKE IF IT WAS BLUE OR SOMETHING), THEN WHO THE HELL KNOWS.
    There is no risk. The forks have no feelings. They just need lube.

Edit: after a few I like to argue
    Last edited by outthere; 03-26-2021 at 01:37 AM.

Now I'm semi fluent in fluids. What would concern me is a difference is viscosity would actually allow for 2 different flow rates given the same force / orifice size. Now even if the fluids are different say a synthetic vs Dino as long as they are similar in viscosity they should behave similar under pressure (ie compression). Add moisture to the mix and that's when shocks / forks get blown out because WATER DONT LIKE COMPRESSION. I'm referencing seal blow outs. Ask me how I know.

EDIT: by 2 different viscosities I'm referring to 2 different oils that don't play nice together. They won't mix and stay separated.
    Last edited by TheJmann; 03-26-2021 at 02:21 AM.

I mix 10w with 7 wt. I've gained weight and needed 1kg springs. I was at the limit of preload and rebound/comp dials. We will soon see how this works out. Mr. Moss will be the set-up guy.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    I mix 10w with 7 wt. I've gained weight and needed 1kg springs. I was at the limit of preload and rebound/comp dials. We will soon see how this works out. Mr. Moss will be the set-up guy.
    Just my 2 cents here- but you "shouldn't" need heavier wt to compensate for a heavier rider, that should just be a spring / springs change. Going to a heavier wt oil will also create more heat, but also be more consistent at higher Temps, and could adversely effect the rebound / compression regardless of settings. But hey I'm just a kid with a wrench

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    There is no risk. The forks have no feelings. They just need lube.

Edit: after a few I like to argue
    You sound like my last date.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJmann View Post
    Just my 2 cents here- but you "shouldn't" need heavier wt to compensate for a heavier rider, that should just be a spring / springs change. Going to a heavier wt oil will also create more heat, but also be more consistent at higher Temps, and could adversely effect the rebound / compression regardless of settings. But hey I'm just a kid with a wrench
    Shouldn’t but, some people like their own mix. Also, can you be sure the oil in the bottle is truly 5wt? Or that their way of designating it is the same as the other manufacturers? Who really knows what weight Harley Type E really is?

Either way, I like sticking to the stock stuff as it gives me somewhat of a known baseline. After all it’s likely what’s in your fork now. I don’t push my bike hard enough to experiment with different manufacturers and weights. Outthere is a racer and likely knows his suspension feel better than I ever will. So, if he feels his mix is what’s best for him, I ain’t gonna argue it.

And I agree with his point. Forks need lube. Clean uncontaminated oil.

As far as using different weight to change riding characteristics, it is a thing, and for some less adjustable forks like damper rod setups, changing the form oil weight is one of the few “adjustments” these forks have.

This is turning into a oil debate and those suck. Hey Outthere, pour me a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Shouldn’t but, some people like their own mix. Also, can you be sure the oil in the bottle is truly 5wt? Or that their way of designating it is the same as the other manufacturers? Who really knows what weight Harley Type E really is?

Either way, I like sticking to the stock stuff as it gives me somewhat of a known baseline. After all it’s likely what’s in your fork now. I don’t push my bike hard enough to experiment with different manufacturers and weights. Outthere is a racer and likely knows his suspension feel better than I ever will. So, if he feels his mix is what’s best for him, I ain’t gonna argue it.

And I agree with his point. Forks need lube. Clean uncontaminated oil.

As far as using different weight to change riding characteristics, it is a thing, and for some less adjustable forks like damper rod setups, changing the form oil weight is one of the few “adjustments” these forks have.

This is turning into a oil debate and those suck. Hey Outthere, pour me a drink.
    Well said. I was saying the oil wt to comp for rider weight, not knowing the entire situation I now feel stupid. I'll go look for my 10mm now.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast