Thread: When to get new tire?

Ok, My question is how long should i run my current rear tire? it now being worn to/ slightly past the wear bars. The first day I had the bike I was riding in pretty substantial rain and had no problem at all...but that was about 650 miles ago. And just to make sure, it doesn't matter if I use a new rear tire with an older, different model, front tire does it?

1. To answer your first question, I would ride it until at wears out. It's pretty obvious when it needs to be replaced. Since you're already questioning whether to change it I would go ahead and do it because the last thing you want to think about while riding is your tires. You should be focusing more on the traffic or your riding line.

2. I go through 2 rear tires before I go through a front so I always keep the same brand rear as the front. If you change the rear to a different brand or style of tire you may lose a little bit of the handling characteristics you're used to. For instance, I run Pirelli Rosso's () but am thinking of going to the Michelin Power Pilots (). I'm going to wait until I need my front again so I can change the whole set at once.

3. I'll let you in on a little secret also. Hopefully when you need to change your front you still have a little meat on your rear so you can use it as a burnout tire and then get your new set.
    :D:D:D

People mix brands all the time on Front/Back. As long as it's Quality tire to Quality tire; brand won't make any difference.

I think I'll ride it a bit more just so i can shop around a bit, plus it doesn't really have me concerned. Right now the michelin pilot roads are seeming like the best bet. Eastern SD = NO twisties.

I run the Pilot power on the front and the Road 2's on the rear great difference in handling (better) compared to both power front/rear.

DO NOT PUSH YOUR TIRES TO THE LIMIT.....

it will bite you in the ass and we will be seeing pictures on here of a nice wrecked Buell. especially if you get caught in the rain.

I ran dunlops on my old zx7r till they were shot then i bought a set of Pilot Powers. What a HUGE difference. 03bolt tires are one of the top two things on your bike, second only to your engine. no engine=no riding as well as bald/bad tires=no riding. Pay the money and get TWO good tires.

Do a big burn out and see if the metal cords show, if not do another, repeat as needed until cords show. Then once they show you know it needs be replaced.