Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Refinish?

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Keep us posted on how long that stays stuck... I'm guessing not long.
    I did the same thing to my mismatched plastics 3 years ago and it's holding up just fine. Although I used about $12 in spray paint so maybe that's the trick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Theres a trick with dirt bike plastics using a heat gun. I've never tried it personally, but I bet BB would know, he's been sniffing lacquer for a long time
    I have used that trick on atv and dirt bike plastic. I think they're more of a polypropylene which is kind of more "oily". The heat gun (I am inpatient and use a propane torch) trick works okay on that stuff. I dont think it would work well on buell plastics.

I did the same thing to my mismatched plastics 3 years ago and it's holding up just fine. Although I used about $12 in spray paint so maybe that's the trick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yeah I suppose extra film thickness would make it hold up longer. And either way, if the guy riding it is happy with the result, who am I to question his painting methods.

Banned
    I did a complete service on my neglected new-to-me XB12 and in the process I, understandably, got the freshly painted plastics (48hrs) covered in oil/grease/dirt/ smudges and this morning I effortlessly wiped the bike clean w/ a clean, wet rag. A little elbow grease & a $5 can of automotive lacquer is a helluva cheaper than $1,500+ new plastics (which are impossible to find anyway).

You're shopping in the wrong place? $3-400 should get you a full new set of plastic in almost any color you like besides translucent. Brand New. Even the good stuff Carbon fiber is only a touch more.

I wanna know what place you're shopping at.

https://sphdonline.com/products/m122...956cd771&_ss=r
    https://www.nosoemparts.com/products...m1648-02a8ambb
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-NOS...EAAOSwQ9RgHXZY

It's not hard, I googled "Buell Plastics" and these are the first results for OE new.

Heres a full set of Carbon Fiber (and it's decent stuff), including the front fender, airbox cover, oil cooler scoop, and windscreen for $600.
    https://www.motocomposites.com/cart.php
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-24-2021 at 12:21 AM.

Banned
    I want to remove the scraped up old frame sliders. Where could I get the factory length allen bolts to replace the extended ones used to mount the sliders which appear to be at least 1.25+inches longer than needed?

Any halfway decent hardware store.

Banned
    Do you know the exact size Allen bolt? # & length?

I love the fact the XB12 develops 75% of it's peak torque at 3500 rpm and peaks at 6k (at the most) but is more likely 5500. Most rice rockets don't even start their powerband till 2x < those rpms. ^ Proof HD has it's head so far up it's ass by firing Erik Buell it may as well file Chapter 7 now at the rate it's sales #'s are dropping year after year. I honestly believe HD couldn't handle the fact more & more & more guys were walking more & more & more HD dealerships asking "Where are your Buells? I don't give a **** about that 770lb farm tractor-like $25,000 Softtail...ALL I WANT IS A $10,000 XB1200!". EB did nothing to deserve the 7 suits sulking into EBR and tell him"We're dropping you". NOTHING!
    Last edited by VtwinXB12; 03-24-2021 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VtwinXB12 View Post
    Do you know the exact size Allen bolt? # & length?

I love the fact the XB12 develops 75% of it's peak torque at 3500 rpm and peaks at 6k (at the most) but is more likely 5500. Most rice rockets don't even start their powerband till 2x < those rpms. ^ Proof HD has it's head so far up it's ass by firing Erik Buell it may as well file Chapter 7 now at the rate it's sales #'s are dropping year after year. I honestly believe HD couldn't handle the fact more & more & more guys were walking more & more & more HD dealerships asking "Where are your Buells? I don't give a **** about that 770lb farm tractor-like $25,000 Softtail...ALL I WANT IS A $10,000 XB1200!". EB did nothing to deserve the 7 suits sulking into EBR and tell him"We're dropping you". NOTHING!

Who are you?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast