Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear shock out!

Rear shock out!

Been ~4 years and almost 18K miles since rebuilding the rear shock with Racetech parts. Also completed the comfort kit shock shroud, thought it might have an impact on the longevity of the shock. Ordered a stock shock from SPHD, and will swap it out. Possibly may need a shorter maintenance interval? Is it the engine heat and/or the swing arm design that causes this to need more attention. I have no complaints about the comfort and handling of the Uly at all and it does great 2 up also. I was expecting the Racetech rebuilt shock to last longer than the stock shock, which lasted for 47K miles.

If 'there's no problems even 2-up', why the change? Most people NEVER change them, but should. Is it leaking? If its leaking is the shock shaft getting surface rust and killing the seal?

The old Monroe shock site used to quote for every mile a shock is cycles over a million times. It's pretty impressive they last as long as they do.

4.7 Billion strokes. Reminds me of being a teen

We 'have a guy' on the TriumphRat forum, "Tmod", that rebuilds shock units. IIRC, he might've worked for RT.

Anyhow, he refurbished and improved the stock unit for my '02 Sprint ST, and put a 'beefier' spring on it. It made a world of difference, and for a good bit less than a new aftermarket unit.

I remember that guy! LOL. He's been on there awhile, from way back in my Speedtriple days

IMO most OE rear shocks are very good and have a wide enough adjustment range to be plenty capable for normal loads at very high milage. Tune the pre-load, rebound, compression and you're GTG. If you prefer something different (or are outside the motorcycles capacity) a spring or oil viscosity change should be all you need.

Unless you're racing and need high/low speed adjustment, I don't see a reason to put anything aftermarket in there?

If you are blowing through rear shocks at 18K miles (I'll assume leaking) I'd look for an outside cause.

Thanks to you both. Pretty sure it is out of oil, has no or little rebound control, bouncing of the seat rear wheel hopping like a pogo stick. New shock will be here tomorrow. Wish it was a quick swap.
    Agree the stock shock is pretty good and should last longer than the one I had rebuilt.

The Buell suspension is worlds better than the Sprints, or most any of the Triumphs I've ridden. They are designed for a lot less weight than I put on them.

The original Sprint rear spring was WAY soft (750lb/in, I think). Upgraded to a 1000lb/in (-ish) spring and the steering improved dramatically and the rear felt much more 'responsive'. The front springs are likewise soft, but spacer magic fixes that fairly easily.

The Ulysses seems much better sprung, and the front is great!

TBone: Hang the rear of the bike off the ground, by the pillion peg brackets from your rafters or an A-frame ladder. Pull off the seat and then you can remove both shock bolts and reservoir, to drop it out the bottom. Less than 10 mins to do, but a good time to check the fan for oil saturation, and even remove it (4 allens, 2-wire plug, and wiggle it out the bottom) to put in a new O2 sensor (one wire plug, 7/8"(22mm) crowsfoot on a 6" extension or O2 socket).

Thanks Cooter. I got the rear shock out. The hard way, removed battery, tray, luggage holders, bottom tray, then Comfort kit shroud. It felt like this shroud was going to break if I pulled it out, and prolly would not have been able to reinstall it? So I just uninstalled it all and it took ~ an hour. The old shock had a good coating of oil confirming that it leaked. The fan looked good, no oil on it. Will look at getting the O2 sensor replaced while I have it all apart. Will check the parts thread for the part #, is the bosch sensor the best? Should I like for one at SPHD?

Ouch dang man that a lot of work.
    They are supposed to be interchangeable, I'd imagine they're all the same. I'm only suggesting it, no need to swap if your bike runs OK.

I havent heard any bad reports on the Bosch branded O2 sensor, maybe upaero has more info on that.

Since you're handy with a wrench and dont mind going the extra mile when things go sideways, the Bosch sensor is probably the way to go, due to the price. (and lack of bad reports that I've heard). If you had to pay someone to replace it, I'd recommend ponying up for the OE one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast