Thread: Considering getting back into an XB12XT, what's ownership like these days?

Considering getting back into an XB12XT, what's ownership like these days?

Hi All,

I owned an XB12XT for a while and loved it. It's not perfect, but man is it good! I kinda panicked when Harley said the supply of parts would be cut off and sold it. I've been through a bunch of bikes since and nothing scratches the itch in the same way so, I'm considering returning to Ulysses ownership, but I'm concerned that it might be an impossible thing to own these days. So, can those of you who held on when I bailed tell me what it's like to own one these days? Parts? Accessories? Thoughts? Insults for abandoning the cause? Anything?

thanks,
    -Dave

TBH, if you are flighty enough to sell a bike you "loved" just because 'you might need a part someday you can't get...' it's not a Buell problem.

I'm not being mean, some people like warranties and good on ya. These are not finicky older bikes, they just need the minimum of maintenance and a thoughtful hand. It amazes me how much people complain that 'My 20 year old bike has sat for a decade and needs a $300 fuel pump oh lawdy, lawdy, poor me!'. Ya, buy a 20 year old Ducati and know real pain. LOL

Yes, parts are still available (and still cheap). The bikes are the same, just a little older. Buy a nice example and the additional cost of entry will be paid back in spades.

IMO, if you "loved" your old one, you'll "love" your new one, so do it

spend the necessary amount required and buy the best example you can find. ALL XB perishables will always be available....approx 90% of the OEM parts still available thru various sources worldwide. and when that supply chain is depleted, the aftermarket will kick-in with reproduction parts dictated by particular demand. how do i know this progression?
    Ask any H2 or Vincent owner. I'm one of them.
    myH2.jpg
    1953 Vincent Black Shadow 3b x.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    TBH, if you are flighty enough to sell a bike you "loved" just because 'you might need a part someday you can't get...' it's not a Buell problem.

I'm not being mean, some people like warranties and good on ya. These are not finicky older bikes, they just need the minimum of maintenance and a thoughtful hand. It amazes me how much people complain that 'My 20 year old bike has sat for a decade and needs a $300 fuel pump oh lawdy, lawdy, poor me!'. Ya, buy a 20 year old Ducati and know real pain. LOL

Yes, parts are still available (and still cheap). The bikes are the same, just a little older. Buy a nice example and the additional cost of entry will be paid back in spades.

IMO, if you "loved" your old one, you'll "love" your new one, so do it
    That's s totally fair assessment. I'm not really a "warranty" guy but, at the time I sold my old Buell, I was using the bike as my primary transportation on my 48-mile each way commute because neither my 1985 Alfa Romeo and My 1986 Porsche were reliable enough for daily commuters (I know the pain ) and, in a moment of frustration with myself for having nothing but weird vehicles, and fueled by the local Harley place I'd been buying parts from essentially running me off the property and reveling in the fact that Harley had officially stopped support for filthy Buell parts, I sold it and bought a cheap used V-Strom. And, as much as I've had several completely trouble-free years of commuting on it, it's never been "interesting". Times change, I have a much shorter commute now and I'm thinking my knee-jerk reaction to one Harley dealer's elitism has maybe deprived me of my favorite bike. So, I'm pretty sure I'm jumping back into Buell ownership, but I just wanted to be sure I'm not getting into something I won't enjoy because it'll be impossible to replace basic consumables.

Thanks a million for letting me know parts are still available! I may be re-entering the fold soon!
    Last edited by Crackership; 03-23-2021 at 05:12 PM.

To echo Cooter and Barrett - I've found, in the two years + I've owned my '08, that parts are not a problem. Easy? As in, I'll just pop over to the local dealership and grab two? Not even close.

But, I've found everything I've needed from eBay (used and new parts), online dealerships (i.e., St. Paul and Newcastle HD; maybe Surdyke HD), and my local HD dealership.

There's going to be three Ulysses's's coming on the market in the not-too-distant future in the Seattle area. An '06, an '07 and an '09; one of them is an Export (Canada) version. They are part of a large-ish collection of a dearly departed buddy.

I'll be posting links whenever they are put up for sale.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

My condolences on the loss of your friend but keep me in mind when these come up, I'm close enough to take the Amtrack and ride home all the same day.
    That seemed Kinda "dirt bag-ish" but they will have good homes if all goes well.

On ownership jump in if it's the bilke you enjoyed most then take the time find a good one and it may take a little more time finding parts but it's worth it.

Sorry about your Bueller buddy there Pushr0d

Crackership: You seem to have the right attitude to enjoy your Buell addiction once again You obviously have weird enough tastes to understand self-flagellation. Being "different in every sense" shouldn't be a stretch for you.
    Welcome home buddy