Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumbles at speed

Stumbles at speed

I have owned my 2006 Buell Ulysses for the past year. On occasion when riding it seems to stumble and jerk at highway speed in top gear. Almost feels like it is slipping or a bucking feeling. Trying to figure out what to look for on finding the culprit of the issue. It has the low seat on it and has 55,xxx miles on it. It has been maintained by the previous owner and has the records from all the service. I had it recently checked for codes at our local HD / Former Buell dealership (No codes appeared). Also had the fork seals replaced. Love the ride, just don't like when it does this bucking issues.

KB 365

intrinsic to most all 2005-2007 X models. the below should resolve same considering that you have NO historical or active codes:

1-check your ECM for cosmetic signs of seat chafing...cracked CB where harness plugs attach
    2-check ECM ground wire for continuity to source and wire condition. most black non-striped. check schematic to confirm
    3-check your 3 factory ground wires for tightness...cleanliness...continuity. i've listed their locations on here multiple times
    4-run an auxilary ground wire from rear coil bracket hold-down cap head bolt to rear frame rail negative battery attachment
    5-check rear subframe attachment points for corrosion. corrosion at attachment points significantly affects grounds
    6-simple breather re-route if not already performed
    7-NGK DCPR8EIX iridiums.....9 if choosing 1 heat range colder
    8-consider replacing your 16 year old factory spark plug wires with new
    9-check rear cylinder fuel injector signal wire to see if it's arbitrarily shorting to ground atop the rocker lid cover

I'm surprised the new fork seals didnt solve this issue. Weird.

Did you have the dealer check the fuel pump pressure to make sure the pump is still up to the task of supply enough pressure/volume to handle highway speeds and loads?

There is a nice gentleman on here who sells QUALITY complete fuel pump rebuild kits. Last I heard he was in New Guinea smoking peyote while hunting Komodo dragons with only his bare hands and good looks.

how does he get his hands hot enough to light the peyote?

You mentioned the low seat? Not sure why. But there was clearance issues on Uly's where the low seat would put pressure on the ECM and even crack it. There is a relocation bracket, but worth a look.

If you have a damaged ECM (common with Ulys) you can expect a laundry list of stored codes. You can either fire the parts cannon at it or do some simple diagnostics to see if you have low fuel pressure or a sensor issue and go from there. There's not much to the system so the process of elimination goes quickly. rev-mo.com/efitroubleshoot. Taking it to a HD dealer is never a good idea BTW.

Then there's the question of which map is loaded in the ECM. If not stock (assuming no powertrain mods), it might cause weird running issues.

Get thee a Buelltooth dongle and put the ECMSpy app on a tablet or maybe a compatible phone. Then you can see what's going on inside the bike.

Appreciate the list. I will be going through it with my son hopefully this weekend.

KB

I originally suspected the possibility of a fuel pump issue as it comes and goes. I have only ridden the Uly about 6,000 miles in the last year. (have multiply bikes in my garage). Love riding it and plan to put a lot more miles on it this year. Appreciate the help. I guess updating the fork seals didn't solve my problem .

KB

The pump at very least merits a check. As these bikes approach 15+ years old, it seems like the fuel pumps start giving up. On one of my bikes, one of the corrugated fuel hoses developed a leak, so even if the fuel pump was up to the task, the hole in the fuel line was causing it to not build sufficient pressure to run properly. It would run, but not much beyond an idle. A fuel pressure gauge (from our friends at Rev-Mo) would have quickly narrowed it down to a fuel pressure issue. My $0.02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast