Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: checking primary oil

Ugh yeah.

The moral here is: If you have to ask, stick to formula +. If you know better, then why are you asking a bunch of strangers on a forum?

Make sure when checking level and filling the primary the bike is in a upright position and not on the sidestand.

i guess i was correct that there is no good way to check the level of oil in the primary. i just drained and changed it to be sure. seems like there should be a way though.

Good catch oh9Bolt. I wrote 'on the side stand' thinking engine oil, my mistake.

Page 1-27 and 1-28 in the manual where the good way to check the level is written step by step and more dependable (obviously) than asking strangers on the internet. Like me. Who made a mistake...

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.21.39 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.22.00 AM.png

Thankfully, anyone with a maintenance question about levels or fluids can find THE MANUAL, FOR FREE at: Buellmods.com

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You only need one quart of formula + or whatever you choose.

On my last XB i ran type f atf in it and it seemed to run fine.

I have nothing against amsoil whatsoever and think that it’s a fine product. However for me, formula+ is priced right, easy to get (the harley dealer is right down the road) and works great for this application.

There were some issues years back with stators being damaged due to people running hypoid gear oil in their primary. But I haven’t hear anything about that in years either.

Watch it on using the type F it's mineral oil based and even old fords leak trans fluid if not run and heat cycled regularly. I don't know but it could be harder on the stator as Ford switched to Mercon (Dexron in GM) when electronics entered the transmission.
    Last edited by cvc; 03-28-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Then you should be telling the clutch companies about your epiphany, not me.

https://www.energyoneclutches.com/clutchinfo/BTX11.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
    i guess i was correct that there is no good way to check the level of oil in the primary. i just drained and changed it to be sure. seems like there should be a way though.
    Smart move, IMO. It never hurts to have fresh oil in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Then you should be telling the clutch companies about your epiphany, not me.

https://www.energyoneclutches.com/clutchinfo/BTX11.pdf
    Yup. We have that Energy One clutch in Bubbles SCG and run Type F (as recommended by them) with no issues

In their energy one clutch installation video, hammer Dan uses formula +.

Dan at NRHS preferred Ford type f. I ran type f to help clean the insides of the primary/transmission to help flush any debris/gunk floating around by the virtue of the high detergent quality of the atf. Worked fine.

thanks for the pic. i thought i was supposed to be able to check it from th inspection cover. i pulled it and you cant see jack from there. i decided to change it. i know its correct now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast