Thread: 2004 Buell XB12R

2004 Buell XB12R

Hello all
    Back after a winter of putting my 2004 XB12R back together. Started with a transmission problem that I ended up sourcing a new motor in excellent condition. Bike now runs and drives like new. I do have one electrical gremlin.
    As I said bike starts and runs great, but intermittently the gauge needles will sweep while bike is running and then not work, the signal lights will also stop working, check engine light may or may not come on. Then all of a sudden all works fine. Any time this electrical problem shows up bike runs and starts fine. Any ideas where I should start to troubleshoot this.
    Thanks Kyle

Check and throughly clean your grounds.

Get a service book and use that to isolate circuits and chase wire connectivity issues.

I’m not very smart, but if the cluster is showing the problem, why not start there ?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-28-2021 at 03:31 PM.

the grounds on an xb must be terrible. mine works great but im starting to think i should systematically run through the grounds anyway

If the cluster loses it's main power (or ground) the needles will cycle. The cluster can lose power and the bike will still run. Do what 34:19 said and check those connections first.
    It's also a good idea to remove and re-install the fuses and relays (one at a time) to clean those connections as well. Make SURE the diode one goes back the same way, it's a diode.

Quote Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
    the grounds on an xb must be terrible. mine works great but im starting to think i should systematically run through the grounds anyway
    You should do that on any older vehicle.

It’s simple and (basically) free, so why not?

Or be that guy who’s bike is that won’t start half the time and is constantly burning up stators, rectifiers and batteries. I love people like that, especially when they are selling their bike (or car/truck).

On a lightning also remove the subframe and clean the contacts there as well.

My bike has sat for 3 years and my battery was dead, so I gave it a quick jump off my car and took a rip down the highway.

Now it won't charge, stupid unreliable Buells!

well I may have fixed the off idle "cough" I'll know tomorrow when I ride it the ground was loose on the seat subframe and I cleaned all of them and added a 4ga. from the rear engine mount to the battery ground that was loose and I am taking home a fuel pressure test set from the shop when I get done working tonight if low then pump, filter and regulator after work tomorrow.

i agree with that 100%. i just hear about it being an issue on these bikes more than any other. are the grounds diagramed out well in the service manual?

They are:

Buellmods.com