Thread: New to Buell

New to Buell

I come from a long list of European stuff with a few Asian bikes sprinkle in but never anything domestic. I do prefer twins or singles over multi-cylinder bikes and I prefer air/oil cooled over water-cooled. Also I have become quite accustom to Adventure bikes as there is no replacement for long travel suspension and a neutral seating position.

Recently I sold a few bikes recently and since nothing of new manufacturer has caught my eyes for years I had been thinking of dipping my toe into the Buell pool. A few days ago a nice clean low mileage 2006 Ulysses came up f/s and after a few emails and a phone call the deal was done. Seller dropped the bike off this morning and I am extremely pleased with what I got.

Look forward to reading and learning more about the brand and the model/s.

Cheers from South Central PA,

P-14

Welcome to the forum!
    Glad you got one. We here think they're great
    Some resources to help your learning curve...
    Buellmods.com has a FREE download of the service manual that will answer ALL of your service questions. Don't worry, there isn't much to do.
    Rev-Mo.com is a good source for info as well. It concentrates a bit on tuning, but if yours runs well, IMO you're better off leaving it alone.
    Remember these are rock solid, and simple, dependable machines. But yours is 15 years old now. Not too many quirks with that one but imagine the life of a fuel pump (especially if its sat as a "low mileage" example).
    If yours has the "low" seat, take it off and check the ECM box for damage. some occaisions they will crack under the weight and you can imagine thats not good. Replacement ECM's and a relocation bracket are available.
    Just because its a new bike (to you), I would look at the date codes on the tires, replace the wheel bearings if you replace the tires, check the oils per the procedure in the manual, make sure all the electrics work. It's popular suggestion to "check all your grounds" and clean them. Theres no voltmeter, so add one to the dash:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...r-with-a-twist!
    or just check it at the battery once in awhile.
    These eat batteries from the vibration and use a GEL battery with a 220CCA. The walmart 200cca ones will cause you issues. Li-Ion works well too IME.
    Best thing you can do for you bike is RIDE IT! Seriously. They have a very rich, very long cold start sequence so if you start it, RIDE it. No need for the fire it up once a month malarky during your cold winters. Put it on a tender and leave it till summer

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-28-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks for the info. I do my own wrenching so service manuals will be great. It has a off-road ECU that has been relocated but I still want to get a blob of silly putty or Play-Doh to put under the seat and then go for a ride to see if there are any areas still contacting the seat and adjust from there if needed.

I'll check/clean the grounds but right now everything works but a little preventative maintenance certainly won't hurt. The tires are from 2016 so I'll run them. They are still nice and pliable. When the time comes I have a NoMar and do my own tire changes and also have bearing pullers/drivers. Nice thing where i work we have an industrial electrical motor shop so I get name brand bearing at cost. None of the cheap All-balls junk. KOYO, SKF, FAG...

I ride year round and abandon the start/idle/shut off to keep the fluids circulated theory long ago. Arguably it does more harm than good. Now if I don't ride the bike will set until I do. Battery tender gets rotated around the bikes once a month in the less mileage months that are winter.

Dooly noted on the battery and volt meter. I have a digital VM I bought a while ago for a bike that got sold so now I can out it to use

Thanks for the help and tips,

P-14

Sounds like you have it all dialed in very well You'll do fine with your new toy. Have fun!