Thread: Main Chain Disassembly ( To Replace Shifter Shaft Assembly)

Question Main Chain Disassembly ( To Replace Shifter Shaft Assembly)

I just got my new, used '02 Buell Blast P3 and it needs a new shift shaft installed. Now bear with me as I do not have photos with me right now. This thing is stripped on the end like theirs no tomorrow. I tried jerry-rigging it and it just doesn't work. I want to replace it but that's where this issue in the title underlies.

I do not know how to remove the shifter shaft. There is a main chain assembly in my way. I will include a diagram to show what I'm talking about. If anybody knows how to help me I will be very excited to ride my first motorcycle ever.

Also, another issue I have is that I cannot find a replacement shifter shaft assembly. EBAY didn't have anything and I don't know where else to look.

Screenshot 2021-03-29 002448.png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 002149.png

^ Although this picture is not a Blast, it works for the clarification needed! ^

You will need to remove that “main chain assembly” and then it should come out easily. Being that you’re asking the question, you probably should download a free service manual from buellmods.com. You should be able to use an XB manual if there isn’t a blast one there.

You may be able to just remove the bolt holding on the clutch assembly, so you can pull it forward and maybe wiggle the shaft out? Again, rtfm.

As far as getting a new one, why not just order one from a HD dealer? I guess if you’re into taking chances on someone’s used parts, go for it. But for the price, it’s hardly worth fiddlefcking around on eBay. If you’re want to make it easy for the parts guy and yourself, bring in the part number and don’t mention it’s for a Blast.

P3 shifter shaft assembly part # 34015-91
    should also replace P3 shifter shaft assembly cover oil seal part # 37101-84A.....when replacing shifter shaft assembly.

multiples of both still in dealer parts system. you can order thru any H-D dealer.

you're welcome.

I do not see these specific part numbers on any HD dealer websites. Should I try calling?

Found the Process

Here is a link to the manual I used.

http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ast_manual.pdf

I am also attaching a picture for the steps necessary to complete this.

Screenshot 2021-03-29 024039.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-29 023914.png

I will update and see what the HD Dealer says tomorrow.

Is it just me, or do you have some aversion to using any Harley resources?

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....inContent=true

We replaced the shift shaft on Bubbles Blast with an older Sporster one. IIRC we got the number off BadWebs "Knowledge Vault" Blast section.