Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confirming battery size for 2009 xb12scg

confirming battery size for 2009 xb12scg

I need to replace my battery (first time doing so since owning).

Can somebody confirm the battery size? I'm looking at these 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YTX14-B...1QK/ref=sr_1_5 YTX14-BS OR
    https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM6RH...T3C/ref=sr_1_6 YTX14H-BS

Dealer I bought my bike from had a WPS CTX14-BS installed when I bought the bike but research points me that the YTX14H (taller, and has 40 more CCA) is the actual application. Can anyone lmk?
    Last edited by AC_Schnitzel; 03-29-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Yuasa ytxr14-h fits all xb models all years
    deka etx-14 """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    deka etx-14 variants being big crank....duracell....napa fit all xb models all years

all of the above are agm and top quality.
    The yuasa comes with activation acid that you simply fill the battery with, then cap it with supplied cap strip.
    The deka comes activated and sealed.
    The deka requires 6 amp charge for 10 minutes before installing
    the yuasa requires 1.5 to 2 amp charge for 5 hours before installing.
    Use a real charger for this...not a tender.
    All dekas come sealed

It's more than just a case size that "fits".
    You will want a SEALED, GEL, "AGM" battery with at least 220CCA (not 200). Deka is a good trusted brand. Any battery you need to add acid too is wrong for a Buell.

Be careful, as a similar size battery with a similar part number can have the terminals reversed so make SURE the (+) and (-) are in the right side BEFORE you hook it up!

Barrett - the Yuasa says that they are sealed and activated from the factory.

Cooter -- good call. I confirmed that the terminals are in the same orientation as the battery they're replacing. Will report back on fit/performance.

Christ Almighty you guys are tedious.

the correct battery SIZE is 14.
    Yuasa designates their brand name with the first letter being Y
    Deka """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """" """"""""""" E

this size of each is exactly the same, give or take a meaningless fraction of an inch.
    the Yuasa with a red/silver foil strip across the fill holes indicates "filled by purchaser" with supplied acid...then sealed with supplied capping strip.
    the Yuasa H typically filled and sealed at factory but NOT all are. makes absolutely no difference.
    BOTH are "wet" batteries.....BOTH are Absorbed Glass Mat batteries....NEITHER are GEL batteries....BOTH are sealed batteries meaning they're non-vented and suitable for the slightly angled XB installation requirement.

the only way you can **** up this purchase is to buy the companion model with letter L in its model designation. the L has reversed terminals.

and no need to report back, Bub. both Deka and Yuasa plants right up the road from me and having been at both facilities...i am quite familiar with the quality of content and workmanship that goes into their products...and regularly espouse their virtues on here. and unlike the Chinese garbage sold at half the Deka/Yuasa price....the CCA ratings of both are actually very accurate and both batteries historically out-perform their respective CCA ratings.

Buy American!

Totally agree.

We should sticky that ^^^^^

Is the Duracell battery the same? I have a brand new one in my SV650 that I bought a few years back and would like to make sure it will retrofit with the mods I've done to my battery tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Yuasa ytxr14-h fits all xb models all years
    deka etx-14 """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    deka etx-14 variants being big crank....duracell....napa fit all xb models all years

all of the above are agm and top quality.
    The yuasa comes with activation acid that you simply fill the battery with, then cap it with supplied cap strip.
    The deka comes activated and sealed.
    The deka requires 6 amp charge for 10 minutes before installing
    the yuasa requires 1.5 to 2 amp charge for 5 hours before installing.
    Use a real charger for this...not a tender.
    All dekas come sealed
    thanks this is super helpful. if I don't have a charger, can I get away with using a tender if I leave it for an extended period of time?

the charger/maintainer I have is 1.25A: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by AC_Schnitzel; 03-30-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    thanks this is super helpful. if I don't have a charger, can I get away with using a tender if I leave it for an extended period of time?

the charger/maintainer I have is 1.25A: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I believe this is exactly why Barrett specified the amperage in his comment. Short answer is no, you should not do this. Just bring it into any auto parts store and they'll charge it for free. That's what I do when I have battery issues since there's one around the corner and I'm too cheap to buy a good charger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast