Thread: Clutch basket assembly wobble

Clutch basket assembly wobble

I pulled the clutch plates out of the 05 XB12S last night. With them out I can wiggle the outer clutch basket and attached sprockets. This doesn’t seem good.

I also found the clutch has been replaced at some point as there is no spring play.

Last line should say “spring plate”.

I spoke too soon. It is a stock clutch.

IMG_1138.jpg

2003-2005 inclusive, have somewhat of a propensity to put excess wear on the clutch basket/hub assembly thrust washer. nobody has ever determined why. it is NOT considered a "problem area" like the sub-harness connectors behind the front belt pulley plastic cover are considered to be....but when worn OR missing....produces your precise situation. it is part #30 in the factory SM clutch assembly schematic.

clutch assembly nut is left-hand threads. check for tightness. factory torque spec had been updated around 2008 as i recall. it is NOT the same TSB as was issued for the rotor/sprocket crankshaft nut. NO issued TSB.

clutch assembly must have the factory "shudder plate" installed in the pack and correct clutch pack "stack height". a must!

I measured the friction plate stack height at .690”. The service manual min is .661” so I reassembled it with the existing components. Once it was back together the wobble was gone, which makes sense.

In the future I need to ponder a little more instead of posting.

Waiting for some parts to arrive before I can do some reassembly.

You’re good. Keep up with the progress and keep us informed.

Remember to put the “lipped” washer under the circlip in the correct orientation when you reassemble the plates.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-02-2021 at 05:25 AM.