Thread: Update your XB's handlebar controls!

Threaded View

Update your XB's handlebar controls!

Hello boys and girls! Stinky Whizzleteets here to show you how to update the old, small switches in your handlebar controls to a much more modern look and feel! This was so easy, I would recommend the upgrade even if you simply have a starter button corrosion issue or something.

Left side:
    This was literally plug n' play. I picked up a used left switch assembly from e-bay for a EBR 1190 ($35) and it screwed on and plugged in perfectly.

Right side, you have 2 choices:
    1) Use the plug n play EBR run/stop housing. It bolts on and plugs in. But that switch housing does not hold the throttle tube like the stock XB does, so you need to also install the separate EBR throttle housing ($25), and EBR throttle cables ($110) and attach to your XB throttle body. It does work this way, but I prefer the all inclusive/ single housing look for this bike.

2) Use a single housing that matches the switches on the left side but also will house the throttle cables and tube. But where do I get that? Kawasaki. I know for sure the Versys 650 and the Ninja 400 have one that works, but cruising through the dealership, most Kawis that have this single unit housing look the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they all were the same part number but there is one issue:

It does bolt directly on, the throttle cables are a match and even the throttle tube is the same diameter, but it's not quite plug n play.

Don't fret! Cooter is here to save you from the evil electron confusion.

You could cut off the Buell switch plug and butt connector to the end of the Kawi harness (instructions are coming) but if you want to do it super clean...

Go to this awesome guys website and spend $8:
    http://www.cycleterminal.com/amp-multilock-070.html
    to order one of these AMP 070 multilock connectors (part number 174922-2). It comes with enough terminals, but for $3 you should get at least 2 in case you screw something up
    and you will also need (2) male spade connectors .110 size. He has 480pc kits with covers for about $5 but they are pretty universal to find in a hardware store.

Last edited by Cooter; 04-08-2021 at 04:35 AM.