Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update your XB's handlebar controls!

Darn it. Really?

It's one of my favorite upgrades because they just feel so classy I think about it every time I get on one with stock switches and CRUNCH them into place.

It is a great mod, and I will likely do it on the methbuell, but you left out details.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

It does bolt directly on, the throttle cables are a match and even the throttle tube is the same diameter,
    Which throttle cables are a match? Use the Kawi throttle cables or the Buell ones? I doubt the Buell/Domino ones will fit the Kawi throttle switch housing as they are completely different designs.
    If we need to use Kawi throttle cables, which application? Having the cables too long or too short isnt going to fly, unless you can re-route them to accomodate.

When I swapped the bar on my V-rod, I had to source new cables as the old ones were now too long, and there wasnt enough room to re-route them to make up for the length. I was hoping the narrow, higher rise bar (stock) bar could use the same cables as the wider, low rise (stock) bar, but noooooooo!!!!

So, looking at a Versys (I think its a 2014), here is what the throttle side looks like. Maybe the Kawi control is made by Domino? There is no way the Kawi cable would work in the Buell as is it waaaaay too long!

This is from the riders perspective looking under the handlebar. The other wire loom is from the heated grips installed on this bike.

v1.jpg

This is from the front looking under the bar, and that actually looks a lot like the Buell/Domino cable. Hmmm...
    If you click on the photo it revert to the correct orientation.

v2.jpg

So here is what the cables from the parts diagram at Revzilla looks like. Maybe the Buell cables will fit the Kawi housing.

v3.jpg

Damn you CoOter!

You'd better be right, because I just bought a Kawasaki Versys control.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-01-2022 at 07:08 PM.

There's a sucker born everyday !

Buell cables

The only part I bought was the switch housing, and the only part I modified was the Kawi plug, to match the Buell harness. Same circuits, different plug.

You are right though. I did try to explain the same thing several ways and I could get confusing. I should have put 'THIS goes THERE', even though it doesn't matter, it's easier to follow. Maybe I'll just show up to the brightest garage in the complex and help you drain your beer fridge. I mean, work on the bike...

I have an extra set of throttle cables and I'll take some pics of the installation of the cables into the switch housing, after I receive mine. Your documentation of the rewiring of the switches was spot on.

I agree that the Kawi switch feels much better than the Buell switches. My 2004 Ducati uses Domino switches as well, and even they feel much better than the stock XB ones. In fact, the Ducati utilized the LH manual "choke" that Buell switch sort of deletes.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-02-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    There's a sucker born everyday !
    I was not born "everyday".

I have both EBR switches and I did the EBR 1190 MotionPro Rev2, it works not perfect where it 90° on to the throttle body but it's still going strong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast