Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xb12 shift pawl adjustment

Xb12 shift pawl adjustment

Is there an adjustment procedure for the xbs? Mine keeps giving me a false neutral an hard to bang 2nd gear it'll go into neutral. New clutch, clutch cable is new an adjusted properly.. thanks all

You have to center the one on the Blast with a drill bit, but IIRC XB's don't need that. Heres the link to the manual for you to check: Buellmods.com

If every upshift was difficult, then I'd look at that system being bent or mis-aligned. Unless its something like its been down hard on the left side it sure sounds a lot more like worn dogs on the 1-2 gear set. Sorry for the bad news. The transmissions are no longer removable unless you split the case.
    Transmissions usually wear there first. Its the most used shift and the highest torque load as well.

It doesn't feel like a wasted tranny, the other gears are smooth. It could be worn dogs on the gear set though. Do you know if I could put a newer tranny in it like a 06 up?

NON-adjustable.

the initial tell-tale sign of an abused trans is a "2nd gear problem". check:
    primary fluid level
    correctly adjusted clutch cable AFTER the clutch pack has been correctly adjusted
    correctly adjusted primary drive chain. too tight and "false neutrals" often occur
    correctly adjusted shift linkage
    correctly installed shift shaft link---#49 on shift assembly schematic. must be perfectly horizontal

didn't solve your problem? worn gear engagement dogs....worn/bent shift forks.
    good luck

Alright thanks guys. It's not the worst thing in the world, it doesn't do it everytime I ride it.. just more than I'd like. I feel like I need to really shift it an not pussy foot like my jap bike. That could just be it. I'm not gonna rear into it.. the jugs are off for top end gasket replacement an that's as far as I feel like tearing into it as nice weather is now here in NY

If its a pre 06 bike, then its going to "shift rough" by nature. In 06 the changed the gearbox and it shifted much better, but nothing like buttery smoothness and positive feeling of a Japanese bike.

Or is this one of the threads we are not supposed to give advice on.?

It's an 04

Yeah, not the smoothest shifting bike out there. Not that its bad or anything... its just not going to have that precise "snick" that you may be used to. However, it should shift positively, and with an authoritative clunk and it goes from gear to gear. If you havent, I'd recommend pulling the primary cover and inspecting the shift pawl mechanism to make sure both spring are intact and in good shape, that both of the "pawls" are in the correct orientation and the stop hasnt worn down. There is a thread on here where a user went into specifics with pics.

Tried searching but haven't found it. Any way you can link it? Primary is coming off for stator replacement so it'll be perfect timing to check it out. 2nd clunks in.. an you can tell when it isn't engaged so I don't throttle it an rev it to the moon. I just shift up again an it goes right in. Almost like the pawl or shift drum dowels if you'd call them that are slightly worn so it doesn't engage that little bit that it needs to

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ting-up-to-2nd

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast