Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric issues on XBR9

Question Electric issues on XBR9

I have been working on my '03 XBR9, and am having electrical problems. Everything was working just fine, until I replaced the blinkers and the battery went dead. I changed out the battery and now I have no blinkers, lights or anything on display panel. But the bike does start, using the button push to start it. I don't do much electrical work, so was wondering if anyone knew where I should start looking for the problem. Any ideas?

The fuse box is under the seat. Check that first.
    This should help:
    https://www.buellmods.com

The battery you bought cannot be some Wal-Mart 200CCA junk. A 220CCA battery from Yuasa, Deka, or many other quality brands is required for your bike. And make SURE the battery terminals are on the correct sides, hooking up to reverse polarity will make the fan run (as a clue) and cause other issues (obviously).

Also, if you went with an LED option for the turn signals you will either need resistors for them, a new flasher that will work with them, or perform the "zero dollar flasher mod" for them to blink correctly.
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-10-2021 at 04:08 AM.

the 2003 models had a few teething problems...but for the most part were devoid of odd, unusual electrical maladies.
    if all electrical components and features were in good working order prior to you messing with and replacing turn signals...then clearly you want to CLOSELY check your work for: loss of ground on front sub-harness...short to ground....improper wiring of the replacement signals...parasitic electrical draw not formerly existing.

your 2003 has a total of 3 relays which are: ignition....accessory....start.
    simply put, when turning on ignition key and placing kill switch to ON position, you should have: full compliment of dash cluster lights....CEL activated then extinguished...gauges sweep then Zero out...fuel pump run to prime. if NOT...it is most always a faulty ignition relay....OR...ignition relay with corroded connections.

all 3 relays are identical. they cross over to ford and chrysler A/C relays. available at any decent auto parts store.
    also infinite amount in H-D dealer inventory files.

Shaughn: he has a firebolt. the fuse box should be behind fairing on right side. under the seat is the single 30A main fuse. i believe that's how the early R models were assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Shaughn: he has a firebolt. the fuse box should be behind fairing on right side. under the seat is the single 30A main fuse. i believe that's how the early R models were assembled.
    Cmon Cooter, you new here? You get another MV Agusta and it all goes out the window! Kids these days! Sheesh!

I bought a fancy bike... I didn't learn how to READ. Sheesh!

LOL, I'd still check the fusebox first. It's location is still in the service manual, and the electrical manual, and the owners manual.
    Buellmods.com

Thanks! I will go check my relays.

And you are right Barrett, my fuse box is behind the fairing.

Also check to see if your bike came equipped with a kickstand switch. Some did, most didn’t. But if you have one that may also be causing you some grief. And make sure your clutch switch is connected properly.

He said it starts... but the dash is dead.

Who's not no un-reading-ishy now?

Maybe the harness where it exits under the frame and into the fairing?

I’m just worried about giving UNWANTED advice. Lol

Ya, answering someones question can be so RUDE! LOLOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast