Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing bolt question

Missing bolt question

I found a missing fsatener on my 07 XB9R. It fastens the exhaust pipe just forward of the muffler. Anyone know the size? Is it a threaded hole or does a nut go on the other end?
    exhaust bolt.jpg

That is a mounting boss on the bottom of the engine case, needs a bolt and nut and bushings.
    These:
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 8.11.18 AM.png
    From Here:
    https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...ust%20mount&a=

You didn't mention it but it looks like you have some kind of aftermarket exhaust. Make sure both #18 pieces are still in there. They're just bushings for the bigger hole in the engine case.
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-11-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Sir: unless i'm missing something here or your explanation has escaped me....it appears your entire front muffler mounting assembly and companion hardware is entirely missing. is this some aftermarket piece that you've bolted directly to the front engine case mounting pad? if so, a horrible idea.
    attached schematic shows factory parts for factory muffler and companion mounting hardware...conveniently circled in RED for you.

xb front mount.jpg

Ol' .50cal makes a good point (as usual).

Technically that front mount is a header support, even though it's on the muffler. It make the 3rd attachment location in the triangle between both header flanges and bottom of the case. That triangle allows a thin tube to attach to a big vibratey lump, and not crack. Loose or missing and I would expect damage near the flanges or even a broken header bolt, and those suck.

If you had a non running Buell-centric junkyard like 34:19 does, you'd see a lot of that

This is on a bike I just bought a few days ago. I'm going over everything and noticed last night that the bolt was missing. Yes the muffler is aftermarket - D&D. Maybe D&D didn't need it? It feels rock solid. Is this hardware available from HD? And where does one get those parts diagrams? I use CMSNL.COM for access to parts fiches for my Hondas. Anything similar for Buell?

Yes, harley-davidson.com

And Buellmods.com has some parts books for download

Or

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...S-LIVE-FINALLY

I know you didn’t ask for my UNWANTED ADVICE but you need that bolt. Without that bolt, All that holds the muffler on is the clamp on the slip joint. If the muffler slips out of the header, the front of the muffler can fall out and hit the ground. Unless you are looking to be compete in the pole vault discipline in the next motorcycle Olympics, I would put the bolt back in. I would also recommend loosening the components up and methodically retightening them to prevent the exhaust from cracking. If you can’t find D+D instructions, I’d recommend looking for the Jardine instructions and improvising off that as the mounting is similar.

In fact there was a recall on the earlier tube frame models to prevent this from happening. When I say “prevent this from happening” I mean the muffler hitting the ground when it falls out of the slip joint.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-11-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Wink

Thanks 34. All advice is wanted as I don't know it all yet I'll visit my local HD dealer asap. Not into pole vaulting.

I just wanted to stress the importance of that bolt. Someone on the Facebook had that happen to them on their bike when then came down from a wheelie.

Luckily, you can get a replacement from Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc. There is nothing really special to the bolt.

If the bolt doesnt just easily slide in, loosen up components until it does and systematically re-tighten everything in order to spec. Buell exhausts (especially the tube frame models) were known to crack if this procedure wasnt followed carefully. And sometimes they still did anyways.

Don't know what it's like without the stock exhaust, but my bike was missing that bolt when I bought it -- I didn't know.

The result was that it was vibrating/shaking so much that it snapped off one of the exhaust studs, and actually snapped one of the header pipes above the collector.

I'd say it's pretty important!

I'm picking up what you guys are putting down. Not riding the beast until this is fixed! Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast