Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy for seals and wheel bearings???

No additional seals as the bearings are already sealed. "2RS" denotes a sealed bearing. Spacers are usually OK. If you are having issues killing bearings at low mileage, it is a sign they were squished out of spec.

They aren't too sensitive on install like the EBRs are. There is a recommended tool, but the normal driver and a competent hand should be ok. If the 'fall' into place too easily, buy a new wheel or use some red Loctite (Buell service part #1.1) to hold the outer race

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Spacers are usually OK. If you are having issues killing bearings at low mileage, it is a sign they were squished out of spec.

This ^^^^.

Most stories you hear are about someone who rode the bearing until is practically exploded and this usually damages the end(s) of the spacer(s). Most Buell owners are cheap and arent going to spend any more than they have to, and also most dont understand what that spacer actually does in the wheel (I had one person tell me they were just going to carefully file off the boogered up end of a spacer until it looked good). All it takes its to be a millimeter or so out of spec for the inner and outer races of the bearing to be forced out of spec when the axle is torqued down... which kills ANY bearing.

Try installing the bearings without the spacer and see what happens.

Tequila City with vacation home in Bourbonville
    Thanks for the Newbie Bearings 101 course by the Buell Professors.

The Ceramic option was interesting but I couldn't quite figure out what was what, and what I did find seemed several times more expensive. Assuming Cherry Ann doesn't dump me, I'll just swap bearing every tire change.
    I ordered a set of Nachi's (claimed to be made in Japan) via ebay. Total cost of $40'ish. I now have a least a cursory knowledge of the bearing industry. Regardless of brand name it's rare that they aren't made in China.

Motion Industries sells Ball Bearings for 5 times the price of all balls .. Also Invotech.. I had just put a new rear tire on my 2008 Buell Ulysses I noticed one of the wheel bearings was a bit dry and turned a bit hard.. I went 107 miles to pick up a date and almost didn't make the 107 mile return trip .. Rode the last 3 miles in second gear at 15 mph.
    I went on these forums and found out about the 3 larger wheel bearing wheel and found the wheel bearings axle and axle spacer kit online .. they have 4 in stock last NOV and I bought one. A old stock warehouse in WI they have parts for Caterpillar and John Deere too.
    I kept records where I bought it from .. Have also purchased all balls spares for front and rear and w wheel bearing removal and installation tool I have not used yet. I installed my new bearings with my 75 ton press and proper sized socket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12