Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy for seals and wheel bearings???

Where to buy for seals and wheel bearings???

All I can find is ****ty all balls stuff. Anybody have a spot for pets that will last. I don’t have money to keep doing the same repairs, would rather do it once and do it right

Your answer can only be as good as your question, so I'll assume you have a Buell XB 2003-2009 and you live in the United States...

6005-2RS front and 6006-2RS rear is a size denotation part number, pick whatever brand you prefer.

Or go OE if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy: (SPHD sells the All-Balls brand too)
    https://sphdonline.com/products/e000...334f6cb0&_ss=r

I have had NO issues with the All Balls brand, but I do install them properly, leaving the hammer in the toolbox. Unless I'm in Montana

I have found repeated bearing failure is usually not brand preference but instead commonly caused by hamfisted people overtorquing the axles. Do That even once and you squish the center spacer out of dimension and side-load the ball-bearings. They hate that, and it makes failure imminent.
    For $12 isn't it worth the peace of mind?
    https://sphdonline.com/products/g032...334f6cb0&_ss=r
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-15-2021 at 03:11 PM.

St Paul stocks the wheel bearings, but the All Balls ones do work well. Some buy them from NAPA or other bearing houses. Its nothing unique to Buell.

Most people who have had problems either did not correctly install the rear wheel by not following the tightening/loosening procedure and/or are using worn/damaged wheel spacers. This is important as the axle is tapered and its position in the swingarm adjusts as the axle is tightened.

Or if you use a worn/damaged spacer when you torque down the wheel you are putting undue side load stresses on the bearing which will cause it to fail prematurely, regardless of the bearing. If the spacer is worn or damaged, the bike will generally destroy the bearing in short order, regardless of its quality, as you are stressing it in ways it was never designed.

Or people try to install the bearings using a hammer or some home made tool and damage the bearings and/or spacer when installing them.

Or they try to pack them full of grease, which expands as they warm up and can knock the seal out, letting grease out and contaminants in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Your answer can only be as good as your question, so I'll assume you have a Buell XB 2003-2009 and you live in the United States...

6005-2RS front and 6006-2RS rear is a size denotation part number, pick whatever brand you prefer.

Or go OE if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy: (SPHD sells the All-Balls brand too)
    https://sphdonline.com/products/e000...334f6cb0&_ss=r

I have had NO issues with the All Balls brand, but I do install them properly, leaving the hammer in the toolbox. Unless I'm in Montana

I have found repeated bearing failure is usually not brand preference but instead commonly caused by hamfisted people overtorquing the axles. Do That even once and you squish the center spacer out of dimension and side-load the ball-bearings. They hate that, and it makes failure imminent.
    For $12 isn't it worth the peace of mind?
    https://sphdonline.com/products/g032...334f6cb0&_ss=r
    I'm pretty sure this is how 90% of the All Balls bearings are installed.

What is the maintenance interval for front/rear wheel bearings? and, what is the way to diagnose if they need to be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    What is the maintenance interval for front/rear wheel bearings? and, what is the way to diagnose if they need to be changed?
    Inspect and replace if suspect... some replace them with every tire change. Some do it with every other tire change. I at least do an inspection when the wheel is off.

or for the other 99%, ride it until it becomes a problem.

Problem is they fail pretty dang fast after it becomes 'obvious', or at least they do on my Ol' Paintshaker Buell.
    If you're the type to stay within AAA radius of your house, then whatevs but if you're the type to go long distance, think of it as $40 of insurance. (see above pic).

Quote Originally Posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post

SM's and OM's published from 7/2002 thru approx 8/2006 recommended F&R wheel bearing visual and manual inspections @ the 10K mile mark. subsequent SM's and OM's published from 9/2006 thru end of XB model updated to 7500 mile mark.

diagnosis:
    visual inspection consists of looking for appearance of rust and/or grease being emitted from seals.
    manual inspection consists of raising each wheel off the ground....gently prying caliper pads off companion rotor for minimal clearance...spinning each wheel to listen for tell-tale signs of bearing failure....grasping each wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock and checking for excess lateral free-play in bearing assemblies.

a slight mod of the belt tensioner pulley bracket mounting points significantly prolongs life-span of rear wheel bearings...particularly the 2-bearing rear wheel style.

Tequila City with vacation home in Bourbonville
    Next up are new tires and wheel bearings for Cherry Ann - 2007 XB12S.

Can one of you experienced wenchers double check my parts list? Point me to a thread if this is already posted.

2x 6005-2RS front wheel bearings
    2x 6006-2RS rear wheel bearings
    Seals - are these an industry standard or do I need to order from Harley. Got a part number?
    Edit - Spacers - should I replace these?

P.S. I'm not saying they're garbage, but those All Balls Bearings are made in China. I prefer to improperly install leading to early failure of Merican made products whenever I can.
    Last edited by FementedAgave; 05-20-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Boca Bearing has our wheel bearings and idler pulley bearings in Ceramic. This is my current setup. A little pricey, but comes with a 2 year warranty. I think maybe ceramic bearings could be the "fix" for the XB bearing eating problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast