Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally for the XB today

Finally for the XB today

After months of waiting to get it home & then a couple weeks getting stuff fixed, I finally took a short ride on the XB today. It was actually my first ride on a Buell as well. I have a few minor adjustments to make, but still a big step forward.

image0.jpg

This first thing on the list is take the front master cylinder apart and see why it is sticking. The previous owner had problems with the front brake sticking, but evidently didn't get it fixed. Thankfully it happened as I was pulling into the garage rather than on my stone driveway (unlike the time on my GT380...). When it stuck I was unable to squeeze the brake lever at all. After it sat for a few hours it seemed to bleed off, so we'll see if has some crud in a passage.

On another note: what have you guys been using for replacement mirrors. Mine are in bad shape and need replacing.

Title should say "Finally rode the XB today". Covid shot must've fried my brain. At least that's the excuse I'm going to use.

Looks nice

Does it have aftermarket brake/clutch levers on it? If so, start there as some of the aftermarket levers cause the front brake to drag, and then overheat, then lock up.

If the piston is sticking, you can get a rebuild kit from St Paul or maybe even all balls. Sometimes the seals get sticky when they get old. The kits are cheap and the rebuild is pretty quick and easy, but you may need to buy a set of snap ring pliers as I’ve found most of them do not work for the rebuild.

Almost all of my XB’s have had sticking pistons in the front caliper. I usually just pop them out with compressed air, thoroughly clean and reinstall, and they usually work great after that.

I like regular bar end mirrors. Some like the Aprilia Tuono mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Does it have aftermarket brake/clutch levers on it?
    Thats my guess. Make sure you have a little clearance between the lever an MC piston, or grind some, or replace the levers.

1-standard 1/2" bore Nissin front m/c. should have both B5E and "1/2" molded into the underside of the m/c body. simply rebuild it with OEM kit # N0220.F---suffix L19C. several hundred still in factory parts system. all dealers available.

USE DOT 4!!!

your front brake lever appears stock. should not be any clearance issue between lever pad and m/c piston tip. clean and lube lever and perch pivot point....perch pin....lever adjuster thumb-wheel.
    Last edited by Barrett; 04-21-2021 at 12:55 PM.

I like the Rizoma Mirrors if you want to keep them in the stock mounting location and CRG makes some nice bar end mirrors
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Barrett is right (as usual). Those do look like stock levers. My money is now on the sticky piston.

Thank you for the replies. Here are some better pictures of the master cylinder.
    IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast