Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally for the XB today

If I would have known how much gunk was in there I wouldn't have run it up the road.

IMG_1179.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boaski View Post
    If I would have known how much gunk was in there I wouldn't have run it up the road.

IMG_1179.jpg
    I've seen worse...and ridden worse!

Oh yeah, that’s my point about the calipers always having sticky pistons. By now most look like crap.

I’ve never split the caliper to do it though. Not saying you’re wrong, I’ve just never had to take it that far.

People obsess over which $20 quart of oil is the best, but never bother flushing brake fluid. NEVER. Don't they know stopping is more important than going?

Glad you got it apart to clean right

It actually looks much worse in person than the picture shows. I cleaned out the master cylinder reservoir and ran new fluid through it last weekend. Even though everything ran clear while bleeding it, there was obviously still more in there. In this case the worst of the gunk was in the "inside" half of the caliper. Since the only way in or out for the brake fluid on that side is the little transfer passage, I don't think I could have cleaned all of the old fluid out without splitting the caliper and popping out the pistons.

After seeing this I'm going to go ahead and order a rebuild kit for the rear caliper as well.

I like being able to stop when I need to. I also really like being the one deciding when the brakes are applied rather than it happening when I don't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaski View Post
    It actually looks much worse in person than the picture shows. I cleaned out the master cylinder reservoir and ran new fluid through it last weekend. Even though everything ran clear while bleeding it, there was obviously still more in there. In this case the worst of the gunk was in the "inside" half of the caliper. Since the only way in or out for the brake fluid on that side is the little transfer passage, I don't think I could have cleaned all of the old fluid out without splitting the caliper and popping out the pistons.
    The pistons can be popped out and removed without splitting the caliper, but yes, for the most thorough cleaning I would split the caliper.

My front master cylinder and caliper rebuild parts arrived from St. Paul HD. While I was waiting for the stuff to arrive I managed to clean up the caliper and master cylinder. While cleaning the master cylinder I found the the teeny vent hole was plugged. I ended up grinding a sewing needed down to a smaller diameter to pick away at the hard stuff in there until I could work a .020" diameter torch tip cleaner through it. I feel like this and goop in the caliper was the reason for the brake sticking.

Here's a question: I think there was a dried up o ring on the then of the end of the Hanger Pin ("1" on figure 2-47 in the 2005 Lightning service manual). I have not been able find any description of it. Does anyone know the dash number?

I think its part of the pin, but you should be able to go to a hardware store such as Ace and find a suitable replacement.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-&-rear-brakes

That tiny hole is the "equalization port" and will most DEFINITELY cause a brake sticking issue. Congrats on finding that and a cheap set of jewelers drill bits is perfect for that job

The brakes are back together. Going to do a couple rounds of bleeding to get the fine bubbles out.

Did a TPS reset and took it easy up the rod and back. After I got back I noticed it would rev to about 2K when I pulled the clutch in. I could drop it back to 1K by putting a little drag on the engine. I hooked the Buelltooth up to it and the AFV is 110%. Intake seals?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast