Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally for the XB today

Does it run OK? Why would you do a TPS re-set? It's a whole procedure on the pre-'08 bikes, did you follow the manual? It can cause a hanging idle if you just punch the "TPS re-set" button.

AFV is a global adjustment of the fuel map and the ECM needs to adjust to many conditions and parameters. AFV is not supposed to sit at 100 and IMO 110 is not nearly off enough to need a repair. Sure, check your intake seals, wiggle wires, buy sensors, whatever. Have fun in the garage, IMO you're looking for problems.

This bike has sat for most of the last 6 or 7 years. It's become evident that it has sat outside for at least one of those years. I bought it cheap, so I figured there would be issues.

It starts hard when it's cold & I have to move the throttle a little to find the spot that it will fire. After it warms up a little it starts easily. When reading through other posts in this forum one of the first thing people talk about doing is a TPS reset so I figured that would be an easy place to start. I followed the Buelltooth instructions.

My main engine experience is with 2 strokes. Hanging at a higher RPM and then settling down to a steady lower RPM when the choke is blipped or a load is placed on the engine points to a lean condition on what I'm used to working on. Again, reading other posts on here usually brought up intake seals being cracked.

I guess I can see where you think I'm "looking for problems". Not really the case. If something isn't right & needs fixed: I am ready to do that. I'll figure it out.

Like you mentioned... Check for intake manifold seal leaks. They are cheap (even from HD) and should be in stock. Some recommend the blue James seals with the "lips" on the bottom. I find those difficult to fit onto an XB motor if you dont rotate it or remove it from the frame. But if you insist on using them, pick up a set of stock seals also. I dont know about the independent shops, but most HD dealers will should take them back and refund your money if you dont use them. It would suck to be knee deep into the project to find out the blue seals arent going to work for you. Again, not saying the blue seals are bad, but they can be a pain to fit with the motor in place.

When you rev it up a little, and then close the throttle, you are creating high vacuum in the manifold. If a seal is getting flaky, it can cause air to leak air into the manifold.

IMO, if it sat for 6 or 7 years, you should be looking for problems. Find them while you are sitting in your garage, at your convenience... as opposed to sitting on the side of the road when you need to be somewhere else.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-28-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Knowing all the information now, changes my response as well. We're here to help, and sitting is very hard on motorcycles.

Did you turn the idle screw to zero the throttle blades first? Sorry I don't know what the "Buelltooth instructions" are, I hope they match the service manual.
    Buellmods.com

IMO 110 AFV is still normal and intake seals leaking badly enough to matter would make it much higher. FYI AFV figure should be checked after a very long ride. It will be skewed if it's just started cold a lot and only ridden short distances. It won't have a chance to adjust correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Sorry I don't know what the "Buelltooth instructions" are,
    He's probably referring to the TPS reset instructions on the screen when you press the reset TPS button on ECMDroid.

Quote Originally Posted by barrett View Post

use dot 4!!!

ditto.

I used Dot 4.

"He's probably referring to the TPS reset instructions on the screen when you press the reset TPS button on ECMDroid"
    Correct. I used the wrong terminology, my mistake.

I noticed the throttle felt "sticky" in spots. I took off the right grip assembly and found this:
    IMG_1193.jpg

Evidently the PO used some adhesive to keep the grip on when he replaced the twist grip after the slide. The adhesive got on the inside of the twist tube and the outside of the handlebars. It works much easier now that I got the crud cleaned up.

Cold and rainy outside tonight so I didn't ride. Hopefully some decent weather this weekend to see how it is to ride it more than a mile or so.

1 demerit for using incorrect nomenclature.

FYI... Three demerits, and you'll receive a citation. Five citations, and you're looking at a violation. Four of those, and you'll receive a verbal warning. Keep it up, and you're looking at a written warning. Two of those, that will land you in a world of hurt, in the form of a disciplinary review, written up by me, and placed on the desk of my immediate superior, Barrett.

Btw what handlebar is that? Asking for a friend.

Seriously though, keep up the good work.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-30-2021 at 04:54 AM.

What'ed he say ?

Aaron: exceptional performance and exacting "run-down" of the board disciplinary procedures, on your part. keep a watchful eye, please. any future significant misnomers by this BoatSki individual and he might qualify for....................................

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast