Thread: Wanted - XB12S or XB12SCG

Tequila City with vacation home in Bourbonville

Wanted - XB12S or XB12SCG

Looking for a clean XB12S or XB12SCG. Ideally Black or Translucent Orange, reasonable miles, and close enough to Phoenix to check it out.

Copying Isobuell's post since he's gotten good response.

Someone is selling one in Surprise for $2900 with reasonable miles.

Thanks 34. I had not found the FB classifieds. On it now. Many thanks.

If you want to convert it to a SCG, St Paul has the shock on sale, you can shorten the kickstand, and I have a set of SCG forks that are trashed, but the internals still seem to be good.

Before starting a new thread, is there a thread already with a check list on what should be "renewed/replaced" on an old Buell? At his stage, I'm thinking age is a bigger factor than mileage.
    - Belt?
    - Fork Seals?
    - Rubber bumpers/bushings?
    - bearings?
    - grips?
    - tires of course (easy to check date of manu)?

Thanks for any pointers.

Its going to be pretty much everything. Since the bikes are 10-20 years old, maintenance is all over the board.

We've discussed it ad nauseum, but I think the consensus for factors are (in order of importance, arguably):

1. Overall condition. Was it abused or well kept? Is it one of lunatic_fringes bikes or did someone take a can of spray paint to it and hack off the muffler?
    2. Maintenance. Has it been maintained? A bike that still has 0 miles but no maintenance, is going to need pretty much everything done to it. Tires, belt, new fluids, filters, etc. And hope no moisture got in somewhere and corrosion started.
    3. Mileage. Obviously low mileage is a better than high mileage, but maintenance trumps it. 100 miles with no maintenance is much worse than a bike with 80K that was well maintained.
    4. Age. Same as above. Granted, the newer bike the better. Later ones got the improved transmission, brass oil pump gear, and crank assembly on the 08-up models.

I think the less thought up ones that shows up a lot these days is a failing fuel pump assembly. Pumps get weak, the corrogated hoses leak, and the fuel pressure starts dropping which can cascade into a mountain of other issues.

Ok. Normal stuff as expected.. So I've got this nifty scope for my phone. Where should I scope for corrosion?