Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Harley Davidson Pan America 1250 adv

The Harley Davidson Pan America 1250 adv

I dont think I've seen a thread on here yet about Harley's newest bike!? Tons of articles and reviews already on the web and YouTube about it. I for one am super excited, the bike sounds great. Also I'm sure we can all recognize the similarities to the beloved Ulysses. Would love to hear others thoughts on the Pan Am... anyone thinking of getting one etc.

Just in case you forgot what a Ulysses looks like...
    20200502_113520.jpg
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 04-23-2021 at 02:26 PM.

I think its neat that HD is offering a bike like this, as it seems like they are looking to consolidate to just cruiser bikes.

In my opinion, its looks are kind of like an 1125... ugly from some angles, and amazing from others.

At $17-19K, I dont foresee being a customer...but thats not just because I think the HD is overpriced. I just would have a very hard time spend that amount (and more after taxes, title, license, etc) on ANY motorcycle. You could buy a primo Ulysses for a lot less and a boat load of spares to keep it going for at least another 10 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I dont like it (I do). Its just priced out of my market, and I feel there are better options out there. Maybe a gently used one is in my future, after the depreciation hits.

This weekend HD had a huge press launch North of me in the Mohave so theres a ton of articles this morning. I prefer Bikexif, and Revzilla.

I want to hate it. I want to hate the looks, and make fun of it being heavy, slow, clunky, and expensive. Dammit! It's none of those things. Since I make my own coffee at home, a big ADV bike is off my radar. I'm completely happy bombing my old STT or my new Ss down the highway to have fun railing up and down sandy washes, completely inappropriatley. Today is a different world though, I'm not new $20k bike guy by any means... and I'm afraid to ride one, because I know I'll justify the expense.

I like it. I like it's odd look, I like that its a weird orphan, If HD doesn't sell enough it will be **** on and barely supported in 5 years but I'd still buy one. I think they nailed it with the 9000rpm 150HP, Revolution 1250, neat suspension tricks, and it ticks all the same boxes the Bavarian current King-of-the-hill does. Minus valve adjustments. I love how hydraulic valve lifters are now a "great idea", hahahahahaha, I'm old, sigh.

NOW PUT THAT ENGINE IN A NAKED! (and name it something other than the Bronx, cough, cough).

NOW PUT THAT ENGINE IN A NAKED! (and name it something other than the Bronx, cough, cough).
    I have heard there are real plans for this engine in a small cruiser. Hopefully with non Vrod (chopper) ergos!
    I would think a "XR" naked bike would be on the list, but then again the xr1200 wasn't a super hot seller, right?

They've got this thing on the site:
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 9.06.57 PM.jpg
    With the inventive "1250 Cruiser" name (Really HD??). Looks like a '48 Sporty with the fat front tire. I like the look! But it ain't no naked.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    I have heard there are real plans for this engine in a small cruiser. Hopefully with non Vrod (chopper) ergos!
    I would think a "XR" naked bike would be on the list, but then again the xr1200 wasn't a super hot seller, right?

Cody: factory certified production numbers for the XR1200 a bit sketchy...dependent upon who you ask. the total spread out over a 5 year production run makes it one of the lowest total production run models in company history. here's what i found:

TOTAL XR1200 PRODUCTION FOR INCLUSIVE MODEL YEARS 2008-2012
    INCLUDES 1200'S....X MODELS....CERTIFICATION MODELS....TEST MULES....ASSIGNED VIN MODELS DESTINED FOR UK RACING SERIES AND AMA PRO VH SERIES. DEALER DESTINED MSO MODELS CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN TOTAL PRODUCTION

TOTAL OF 12184

FIRST XR SERIES PRODUCED WAS XR100 FOR 83-84 MODEL. TOTAL PRODUCTION 1750

I knew BUELL owners were loyal and numerous than owners of greedy corporate HD motorcycles. I can’t believe they shut down Eric just like that. Blah blah blah blah . It’s the TRUTH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Cody: factory certified production numbers for the XR1200 a bit sketchy...dependent upon who you ask. the total spread out over a 5 year production run makes it one of the lowest total production run models in company history. here's what i found:

TOTAL XR1200 PRODUCTION FOR INCLUSIVE MODEL YEARS 2008-2012
    INCLUDES 1200'S....X MODELS....CERTIFICATION MODELS....TEST MULES....ASSIGNED VIN MODELS DESTINED FOR UK RACING SERIES AND AMA PRO VH SERIES. DEALER DESTINED MSO MODELS CONSIDERABLY LESS THAN TOTAL PRODUCTION

TOTAL OF 12184

FIRST XR SERIES PRODUCED WAS XR100 FOR 83-84 MODEL. TOTAL PRODUCTION 1750
    Wow I wouldn't have guessed the number to be THAT low.
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 04-24-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    They've got this thing on the site:
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 9.06.57 PM.jpg
    With the inventive "1250 Cruiser" name (Really HD??). Looks like a '48 Sporty with the fat front tire. I like the look! But it ain't no naked.
    But do really you think harley has a market for a naked sport bike? I dont think they really do, at least not on the level of the cruiser and the pan am anyway

I think there is a market for riders looking for something along the lines of those bikes. As I get older I appreciate the classic lines and looks of older motorcycles. While I love the engineering and basic idea of this bike, it’s f*cking ugly as sin (to me). I’d rather pay double and get a BMW R9T, but the FZ-09/MT-09 is much neater (if I didn’t have to look at it).

Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-24-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast