Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error code 33

Error code 33

To give some background, my fuel pump has not switched off after priming for some years now, it
    just runs constantly. It hasn't caused me any concern so I've left it.
    Today on my way home I had a brief flash of the CEL and it missed a beat , followed
    immediately by the low fuel warning light. The low fuel light was expected, as it
    usually comes on around this distance.
    The short to ground error though is new.(confirmed with Buelltooth)
    Do I assume it was related to the low fuel light coming on, although its never done that before, or
    do I need to pull the pump and look at a wiring issue ?
    All constructive advice appreciated.

Check your grounds first, they're easier than the fuel pump, and can cause engine stuttering/running poorly. Fuel pump not turning off after priming is concerning, and should warrant a look at the wiring on it's own. I'm speculating here, but guessing that it hasn't caused issues as you probably start it right away and any overpressurization before startup is just getting fed back into the tank through the regulator. Is your AFV normal? Low fuel light seems coincidental, given you were expecting it. Easy way to rule it out is go for another ride after filling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
    To give some background, my fuel pump has not switched off after priming for some years now, it
    just runs constantly. It hasn't caused me any concern so I've left it.
    Today on my way home I had a brief flash of the CEL and it missed a beat , followed
    immediately by the low fuel warning light. The low fuel light was expected, as it
    usually comes on around this distance.
    The short to ground error though is new.(confirmed with Buelltooth)
    Do I assume it was related to the low fuel light coming on, although its never done that before, or
    do I need to pull the pump and look at a wiring issue ?
    All constructive advice appreciated.

The fuel pump runs even when the ignition is turned off?

"short-to-ground" as in active code #33? seen it many times. if so, respond and will walk you thru explanation of why the pump is doing this....trouble-shooting...proper repair. it's all analog. none of this digital ballyhoo.

Thanks for the responses.
    AFV is at 92, and fuel consumption is acceptable, I run on average 19km/l.
    Highway speed usually at 4,500 rpm which gives a clock speed of 135km/h.
    The CEL only came on for a fraction of a second, but was recorded and is an active code #33 currently.
    I will tackle it over the weekend, so all advise will be appreciated.

Bop: knew it would be code #33 when you posted this, along with hiccup at time of CEL flash. all consistent with this problem.

fault code #33 means fuel pump circuit either high or low but outside the factory parameters. The pump always has 12 VDC supplied to it when both ignition switch and kill switch to ON.... and the ECM supplies the ground to turn the pump on or off. Since the code comes from the ECM that means it’s detecting something wrong with the ground circuit ONLY....NOT the positive feed circuit. The choices are open wire, short to power or short to ground. Elimination: it is NOT open wire. Short to power will blow the ignition fuse and the pump will not function. The only thing that would allow you to keep running is short to ground which will keep the pump on all the time. Since you’re getting an intermittent CEL then it’s probably working normally some of the time and always on at other times. the culprit is the brown wire with yellow tracer. schematic shows as BN/Y which is Buell acronym for BROWN/YELLOW. The trick is finding where it may be shorted out. First step is to check the pump feed harness for short-to-ground on this precise wire. The ground wire is connected to two pins on the ECM, no’s 27 and 28 of the 10 connector on the ECM. view your SM schematic to confirm. those wires should be joined very close to the ECM plug. Visually check for chafing or break in wire circuit along with OHM's test of same. if nothing abnormal revealed here then be prepared to remove the pump as your short-to-ground is internal on the same color-coded grounding wire.

1-failing fuel pump high pressure feed hose causing this....chances extremely rare.
    2-failing fuel pump regulator causing this.........................chances extremely rare.
    3-failing high pressure fuel filter bushing(qty 2) causing this...........chances extremely rare.
    4-failing/shorted pump ground feed wire causing this..................chances are 99%.

good luck.
    Last edited by Barrett; 05-05-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Bop: knew it would be code #33 when you posted this, along with hiccup at time of CEL flash. all consistent with this problem.

fault code #33 means fuel pump circuit either high or low but outside the factory parameters. The pump always has 12 VDC supplied to it when both ignition switch and kill switch to ON.... and the ECM supplies the ground to turn the pump on or off. Since the code comes from the ECM that means it’s detecting something wrong with the ground circuit ONLY....NOT the positive feed circuit. The choices are open wire, short to power or short to ground. Elimination: it is NOT open wire. Short to power will blow the ignition fuse and the pump will not function. The only thing that would allow you to keep running is short to ground which will keep the pump on all the time. Since you’re getting an intermittent CEL then it’s probably working normally some of the time and always on at other times. the culprit is the brown wire with yellow tracer. schematic shows as BN/Y which is Buell acronym for BROWN/YELLOW. The trick is finding where it may be shorted out. First step is to check the pump feed harness for short-to-ground on this precise wire. The ground wire is connected to two pins on the ECM, no’s 27 and 28 of the 10 connector on the ECM. view your SM schematic to confirm. those wires should be joined very close to the ECM plug. Visually check for chafing or break in wire circuit along with OHM's test of same. if nothing abnormal revealed here then be prepared to remove the pump as your short-to-ground is internal on the same color-coded grounding wire.

1-failing fuel pump high pressure feed hose causing this....chances extremely rare.
    2-failing fuel pump regulator causing this.........................chances extremely rare.
    3-failing high pressure fuel filter bushing(qty 2) causing this...........chances extremely rare.
    4-failing/shorted pump ground feed wire causing this..................chances are 99%.

good luck.
    Brilliant, thanks for that. My weekend is now planned.
    Just as an FYI, my surname is Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
    Brilliant, thanks for that. My weekend is now planned.
    Just as an FYI, my surname is Barrett.
    Looks like you're gonna have to change your name....

dfeb4caceb8262e99fd6bdb8b6de94b3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dobe1 View Post
    There is someone in my hood running around with a vanity plate that says "Barrett".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast