Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking XB9 ECM Suggestions

Seeking XB9 ECM Suggestions

Hi all,

This topic has been talked a lot about in the past. I cant seem to find an answer to my specific questions though. I have browsed many old threads that lead to unknown links and possibly outdated info since most are from around 2011.

I am looking to buy a 2006 xb9 in my area. The bike has a Hawk exhaust, K&N, the breather/catch-can mod, and stock map. I cold started the bike first try and it ran great during idle and the 10 minute test ride that I did. I got to see the spark plugs that recently came out of the bike and they looked pretty ok, however, I am still a little worried about the bike being run without a re-map. Id like to map the bike with something close enough in the meantime while I read the ecmspy documentation and learn how to fine tune it myself. I have found maps online for 'Stock', 'Buell Race Kit', and 'D&D Exhaust' but nothing for the Hawk itself. Which leads me to my questions..

1. Do bikes with these mods normally run ok on stock map(maybe it was mapped by a previous owner)?
    2. Is the Hawk exhaust more similar in design to the 'Buell Race Exhaust' or 'D&D Exhaust'? Would one of these maps work better with the Hawk than the other?
    3. All you Hawk owners out there, what map are you running?
    4. Is there a way to verify if the maps have been changed using ecmdroid?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by rkdw; 05-05-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Visit IDS.com. They have the tune you need.

You're in good hands rkdw, really good advise from both the guys above.

Plug n' play with IDS using the OE derived Buell Race map would be ideal.

Hawk is an empty can, and so is the Buell race can but it doesn't matter, you just need to get close and let the ECM do its job. The miracle of electronic fuel injection is that it will adjust itself, using it's own sensors, many times a second, and that is why fuel injection is better than carburetors.

1) You just said it ran fine and the plugs look good, why mess with it?. To be sure, Check your AFV. 100 (+/-10) is in the middle of its adjustment range to leave it alone. It will go +/-25 stock but runs poorly at those limits.
    2) Buell race can is empty like your Hawk, but any aftermarket pipe tune will be close enough and better than the OE muffler tune (if thats what you have).
    3) If you can find a "Hawk tune" it's going to be identical to a Buell Race tune.
    4) You might be able to tell if it's been changed, and even compare fuel cells side by side, but you won't be able to tell what tune it was labeled as.

IMO, ride your new bike and enjoy it. IF theres something out of sorts, THEN pull out ECMDroid to diagnose the problem, IF that problem is tuning, THEN look into tuning.

Thanks for all the replies

@outlaw
    Good to know the Buell race map will work with the Hawk. I was getting worried I wouldnt find a working one. Thanks man

@barret
    Thanks for confirming the IDS. I think Ill buy that then I can mess with the oe unit in my free time. Never hurts to have a spare either.

@cooter
    Well as the bike runs lean from factory I figure it must especially be lean with these mods, even without showing obvious symptoms. Or maybe I was expecting worse idk. I just want to keep the twins healthy and get on the pavement as riding season is starting here in wisconsin. So given these parameters, as long as the the AFV is not reaching numbers greater than +/- 10, the map will be able to deliver adequate fuel? Ill check on the AFV as soon as I get the android. Im excited to get that app.

"Running lean from the factory" is not actually whats happening. It's not a mid-70's carburetor. Not worth your worry, The bike is running fine, you said it yourself. I'll go on record for an 'I-told-you-so' later

Yes, the ECM is able to deliver adequate fuel. Again, not whats happening. It is not cruising down the street "Lean", because a muffler is on it. Sorry to confuse you with the figures, I only asked for that number as a clue to how the engine is actually running, slightly more accurate than a butt-dyno. NO worries either way.

PLEASE avoid "tuning" as your first mod (see countless threads why). You already said it runs fine, but seem awfully eager to paint a grey rock... grey.

Good luck buddy, here's the manual, it will answer all of your what kind of oil questions, primary level questions, and why you have a headlight out
    Buellmods.com

Is it "grey" or "Gray" ?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...age-difference
    Just pick one. Sasha or Erin?

I weep for english-as-a-second-language people Can you imagine learning this complicated language?? Heck, most Americans are garanteed to brake there grate point at a restaraunt with a mispelled werd or too.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-06-2021 at 06:13 PM.

@cooter
    Thats great to hear and relives a lot of stress I was having Happy to know I wont have to do any big projects right away. It's funny you say that because carbs are exactly where Im coming from and Im used to those 70/80s bikes running lean af in order to make emissions. EFI is a nice change.

Out of curiosity, what is actually happening...why have I come across so many threads talking about the xb's ****ty fuel system and lean tendencies? And thanks for the manual, already had it saved

I'm a carb guy from way back as well IMO the Buell DDFI2-3 fuel injection system is rock solid and still works well, but remember it was designed 20 years ago! It gets a bad rap because of poor motorcycle maintenance, *unqualified modifications, and just being old tech in the time of i-phones now.

Since the ECM was jailbroken and 10,000 rookies got to mess with "tunes" it's been a ****show. Even worse "My bike sat for 5 years and now it runs like crap when I jumped it and went WOT down the street, I need to tune the injection to fix it!". NO dammit... FIX it, THEN tune it. (Sigh)

I can't begin to explain EPA regs for clean running in this post. Simply that it's not "running lean". That would make terrible emissions as well (HC). 95% of the time your bike is running in Closed Loop "part throttle cruise" where the ECM adjusts to keep the mixture perfectly stoic many times a second. Not lean, not rich, and the pipe won't matter because its not at max power. The ECM is adjusting constantly, many times a second, and well within the ECM's adjustment parameters.

In order for an engine to run "clean" it's not about using less gas (remember, lean=bad emissions). It's about:

1) Adding/subtracting gas slowly, so that most of it is burned in the engine and not sent out the tail pipe (bad emissions).
    2) Using the minimum about of gas for acceleration (and WOT), so that most of it is burned in the engine and not sent out the tail pipe (bad emissions). Less gas than max power is what "they" mean by 'running lean, EPA BS...' but it isn't technically "lean".

Of course neither of these things is good for rapid engine speed changes or maximum power, so the solution is to change the Open loop fuel map for more gas on acceleration and more gas at WFO. In carb speak, it would be a bigger accelerator pump and bigger power valve. The main jets (Closed loop/cruising) stay the same, and cruising is unaffected. You are looking for an accelerator pump and power valve Map, lol.

*Oversimplification warning!* and I should mention that some believe tuning the Closed Loop targets richer (bigger main jets) help it running. I've pulled out too many black sooty plugs to believe that, and why would you need to add too much gas when you're just cruising?

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm a carb guy from way back as well IMO the Buell DDFI2-3 fuel injection system is rock solid and still works well, but remember it was designed 20 years ago! It gets a bad rap because of poor motorcycle maintenance, *unqualified modifications, and just being old tech in the time of i-phones now.

Since the ECM was jailbroken and 10,000 rookies got to mess with "tunes" it's been a ****show. Even worse "My bike sat for 5 years and now it runs like crap when I jumped it and went WOT down the street, I need to tune the injection to fix it!". NO dammit... FIX it, THEN tune it. (Sigh)

I can't begin to explain EPA regs for clean running in this post. Simply that it's not "running lean". That would make terrible emissions as well (HC). 95% of the time your bike is running in Closed Loop "part throttle cruise" where the ECM adjusts to keep the mixture perfectly stoic many times a second. Not lean, not rich, and the pipe won't matter because its not at max power. The ECM is adjusting constantly, many times a second, and well within the ECM's adjustment parameters.

In order for an engine to run "clean" it's not about using less gas (remember, lean=bad emissions). It's about:

1) Adding/subtracting gas slowly, so that most of it is burned in the engine and not sent out the tail pipe (bad emissions).
    2) Using the minimum about of gas for acceleration (and WOT), so that most of it is burned in the engine and not sent out the tail pipe (bad emissions). Less gas than max power is what "they" mean by 'running lean, EPA BS...' but it isn't technically "lean".

Of course neither of these things is good for rapid engine speed changes or maximum power, so the solution is to change the Open loop fuel map for more gas on acceleration and more gas at WFO. In carb speak, it would be a bigger accelerator pump and bigger power valve. The main jets (Closed loop/cruising) stay the same, and cruising is unaffected. You are looking for an accelerator pump and power valve Map, lol.

*Oversimplification warning!* and I should mention that some believe tuning the Closed Loop targets richer (bigger main jets) help it running. I've pulled out too many black sooty plugs to believe that, and why would you need to add too much gas when you're just cruising?

Hope that helps!
    CoOter,

You have been warned about this before. Riders must purchase a special tool to determine this. Its $410.00USD+ship+sales tax.

I will grant you a pass this one time with a firm warning. No funny business or other subterfuge will be tolerated.

34nineteen
    Super Moderator
    34nineteen@verizon.net

Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-06-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast