Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buell xb12 turns over but wont start

Hybrid View

Buell xb12 turns over but wont start

HELP!!! Bike wont start. Battery is good, hooked up to Buell dongle, no codes, new coils, new sparkplug cables and plugs. Poured a little gas down the intake. Just keeps turning over. Very frustrating . Please help

Quote Originally Posted by sickee View Post
    HELP!!! Bike wont start. Battery is good, hooked up to Buell dongle, no codes, new coils, new sparkplug cables and plugs. Poured a little gas down the intake. Just keeps turning over. Very frustrating . Please help
    You have an ignition problem.

Or fouled (new) plugs from attempted cold starts.
    You swapped those parts and can't check spark? Why did you swap those parts? Checking for spark is easy, I just put my finger in the end of the boot and crank it over. Works the best if you put an "X" on the coil first. Theres other ways listed in the service manual (Buellmods.com) not many people can handle my method. If it's got spark, pull the plugs and clean/dry them to try again.

EMC Spy initially said it was my rear coil tube so I bought new coils and thought I might as well change the plugs and cables. Still no change. Today it actually started for a minute, then it died.

Holy **** dude! Can you be a bigger dick? If you read the entire ****ing thread , you'd see I answered most of the questions. And NO, I'm not getting spark.
    Are you cursing at me?! Because NO, I do not see where you wrote "I tested for spark". Just some lie about ECMDroid doing something it can't do.

However, I DO see (post #7) where you said:
    ...Today it actually started for a minute, then it died.
    Which would mean you DO (or did) have spark.

See what I mean about your questions not being good enough to have an answer? You are incapable of fixing it yourself (thats why YOU are asking for help), you are incapable of communicating well enough for strangers to help you (see above), and now you're calling those helpful people names??

Go ahead and keep doing that, let's see how far you get before your mom comes in your room and tells you to quit being a jerk on the internet (again).

I used Emspy and it said coil was bad.

I used Emspy and it said coil was bad.
    Sounds like you need a new wiring harness.

the simple accurate expedient tests are as follows:
    1-simply remove the front spark plug only....reattach spark plug wire....ground base to motor...igntion and kill switch to ON...crank and check for spark.
    2-your coil is single fire meaning that, in essence, it is 2 coils in one pack. there is no wasted spark design built into the XB.
    see pic for simple testing procedures.
    3-you must test to see if you're actually receiving proper low voltage 12V+ signal to the coil terminal. without same any further engine cranking and coil testing is pointless.
    4-remove....check...clean....replace ignition/key switch relay and test for spark.
    5-the CPS wiring harness plug for corrosion and tightness. if questionable, the coil will NOT fire
    6-properly test the coil. i'm now seeing these fail at alarming rates.
    yy9GJNT.jpg

Or better yet. Remove the spark plugs, but leave the coil wires attached. Hold the spark plugs in your hands while a helper presses the start button.*

*excerpt from “Beer and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by S. Hoggin.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Or better yet. Remove the spark plugs, but leave the coil wires attached. Hold the spark plugs in your hands while a helper presses the start button.*

*excerpt from “Beer and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by S. Hoggin.
    This is the primary choice of professionals.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast