Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Error Code 34 Byte 7 Bit 6 IAC position too low

Error Code 34 Byte 7 Bit 6 IAC position too low

Hello, im the new guy with a 2009 Buell XB9SX. Bought the bike off a older gentlemen a bout a month ago. 19000 miles and very clean and well maintained from what my eye could see. Weather has been ****e so Ive only put about 70 miles on it since purchase. Took it for a quick ride the other night before rain came AGAIN and as I was pulling in driveway check engine light came on. Now since i've purchased bike I have changed oil (PO did not change yet), cleaned and recharged air filter (K&N, figured since changing oil i would clean airfilter also) and changed the neutral switch (found out it would not start in neutral with out clutch and no illumination on gauge cluster, grounded wire for switch and light would illuminate). Now the neutral switch was the most recent work as in right before the check engine light came on. So i was able to change neutral switch and maybe put 10 miles on and that is when check engine light came on. Ive cleared code and let it idle after to see what it would do. About 15 minutes after it starts is when it comes on. So im guessing thats right when its warmed up nicely. When it first starts up idle kind of moves around alittle bit, might stall on occasion with first start up, but idle doesn't go above 1500 and once its warmed up alittle bit it sits nicely at around the 1000-1100 mark. I haven't really ridden it since the light just because the weather has sucked and just haven't had the chance. I'm going to take it for a ride today after work and see if it stalls or idles erratically at stops. Ive read in other post that its intake seals. I sprayed those yesterday and did not get a change in idle. Ive also read that there is a small rubber cap on the side that could leak also so im gonna check on that also. PO changed IAC 8/30/20 from the documents that he gave me. I took IAC out and cleaned the chamber and wiped down unit and cleared codes and it came back. I did notice (atleast i think thats what i noticed) that before i changed neutral switch idle was in the 1400 range and when I would clutch it would drop to normal. Does anyone think that changing the neutral switch would make the ECU think something is wrong? When I put new switch in everything was working fine and running normal from what my ear and eyes could see. Id be riding it if check engine light didnt come on. Im also gonna try and put old switch in and reset code and see if light still come on to see if that answers my earlier question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just be easy on me. Some of the posts ive read while trying to find any info its been brutal in some of them. I am no mechanic by any means but I have worked on my own vehicles. Again thank you for any help. Have a good day everyone. Sorry for the novel.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, probably should be in troubleshooting section. Bike is stock also except for K&N airfilter.

Quote Originally Posted by CC83 View Post
    Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, probably should be in troubleshooting section. Bike is stock also except for K&N airfilter.
    I'm showing no code for Error 34, Byte 7, Bit 6. There is one for Error 34, Byte 6, Bit 7, which is a fault in the general circuit, which could be a failing wire or ground.

I have a picture of the ecmspy screen, i just dont know how to post a picture on these forums.

You may want to confirm you are reading the error correctly. Its going to fall into one of these categories.

1. You are reading the code wrong.
    2. ECMSpy instructions are wrong.
    3. You have found a code that is not documented.

http://www.ecmspy.com/errorcodes.shtml

Sir: the 2009 XB model has an "enhanced start-off idle speed" feature to help get the bike moving from a standing start and minimize stalling. the neutral safety switch in conjunction with the clutch lever switch activate this feature in sequence. warm curb idle speed is 1050rpm....engine at operating temp---clutch disengaged---1st gear selected....activates this feature via ECM programming and IAC and idle momentarily increases to 1350rpm.

a failing clutch lever switch will cause idle to increase
    a failing neutral safety switch """""""""""""""""""""""""
    a fault to ground in the neutral safety switch wire """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    a failing IAC will also drastically affect warm curb idle speed

things to check:
    1-ECM harness plug #1---cracked plug and/or cracked ECM at plug area
    2-ECM harness plug #1----gray wire unseated or cracked or corroded. it's the IAC feed
    3-ECM failing. check for historical fault code listed as #'s 52 thru 55 inclusive
    4-try a TPS reset. done manually and very simply on 2009 model and explained in OM and SM. on occasion it will resolve hanging idle and inconsistent warm curb idle speed
    5-verify the replacement neutral switch is good. it simply goes to "ground" when activated and grounds the feed wire which then feeds that info back into the electrical system.
    6-your TB has a "Calif emissions" vacuum port. it is plugged with black rubber 3/16th inch rubber plug from the factory. check that it is on and not cracked

NO---your ECM doesn't know or care if the neutral switch has been replaced.

First off. THANK YOU for the wall of text. It is THAT information that lets strangers on the internet actually answer your questions will a better degree of accuracy! You know because you read those other worthless threads. "Help!! My bike won't start!" Whats spark? LOL.

Barrett is 100% correct about the idle raising being normal (in gear, when the clutch is let out). I'll have that issue at stop lights if I just 2-finger the clutch and don't pull it back all the way.

I wouldn't worry about the neutral switch. If the dash light is working correctly, IT is working correctly.
    Error code 34 is all inclusive of IAC position low, position high, and circuit issues as well. I'd look there.
    First by triple checking the connection, the pins in the plug, the pins on the IAC, follow the wiring back to the ECM. If that all looks good, check them individually for continuity while moving the harness around.
    If that all checks out, possibly the pintle got pushed in and jammed when cleaning it? Carefully try and move the pintle to see if it's jammed.

If that all checks out (I'm not much for guessing and throwing parts at it), I'd cheat and swap a IAC on it. There really isn't anything else in the circuit to send that code?

I think you need to have 3 posts to be able to post pics? Hit the button that looks like a picture frame, choose where to find the pic, choose the pic, then press "upload" in the pic dialog box, you'll see it between brackets ATTACH in the body of your text.
    OR
    Copy/paste the IMG code from any hosting site like Flickr, Shutterfly, etc.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-11-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You may want to confirm you are reading the error correctly. Its going to fall into one of these categories.

1. You are reading the code wrong.
    2. ECMSpy instructions are wrong.
    3. You have found a code that is not documented.

http://www.ecmspy.com/errorcodes.shtml

IMG_3364.jpg

Apparently I wasn't viewing forum in desktop mode which not sure how I couldn't be since Im on my computer. Anyway the pic from ecmspy should be on post. Not sure why it uploaded sideways. Hopefully none of you have neck issues. But thats the info I received which could be wrong since technically ecmspy isn't supposed to work with 08+ bikes (from what I've read). And I looked at the codes from ecmspy prior to my post and yes the ones on the screen dont match the 3 that are listed. So not sure on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: the 2009 XB model has an "enhanced start-off idle speed" feature to help get the bike moving from a standing start and minimize stalling. the neutral safety switch in conjunction with the clutch lever switch activate this feature in sequence. warm curb idle speed is 1050rpm....engine at operating temp---clutch disengaged---1st gear selected....activates this feature via ECM programming and IAC and idle momentarily increases to 1350rpm.

a failing clutch lever switch will cause idle to increase
    a failing neutral safety switch """""""""""""""""""""""""
    a fault to ground in the neutral safety switch wire """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    a failing IAC will also drastically affect warm curb idle speed

things to check:
    1-ECM harness plug #1---cracked plug and/or cracked ECM at plug area
    2-ECM harness plug #1----gray wire unseated or cracked or corroded. it's the IAC feed
    3-ECM failing. check for historical fault code listed as #'s 52 thru 55 inclusive
    4-try a TPS reset. done manually and very simply on 2009 model and explained in OM and SM. on occasion it will resolve hanging idle and inconsistent warm curb idle speed
    5-verify the replacement neutral switch is good. it simply goes to "ground" when activated and grounds the feed wire which then feeds that info back into the electrical system.
    6-your TB has a "Calif emissions" vacuum port. it is plugged with black rubber 3/16th inch rubber plug from the factory. check that it is on and not cracked

NO---your ECM doesn't know or care if the neutral switch has been replaced.

(1,2,3)PO really tried to keep all wires/harnesses etc. as still as possible to prevent vibration as much as possible. So I will start undoing the zips and tape and checking every wire/plug possible, hopefully his attempt at keeping everything still didnt put added stress to certain plugs/wires. (4) Is there anything to confirm you did a proper TPS reset. I attempted last night not sure I did it correctly. I will readin through manual and do it per manual. I started skimming through the manual since Ive gotten it to try and learn as much as possible on this bike. I want this thing to last. Its such a beautiful machine. (5) The old switch that I switched out did not work when I grounded the bearing and pressed it in to a ground. The new one when pressed into a ground lit up dash. (6) I saw that little port when I removed IAC to clean chamber and unit itself. Didnt think anything of it at the time. I do remember there being a cap on it so I will check that for cracks or any breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by CC83 View Post
    IMG_3364.jpg

Apparently I wasn't viewing forum in desktop mode which not sure how I couldn't be since Im on my computer. Anyway the pic from ecmspy should be on post. Not sure why it uploaded sideways. Hopefully none of you have neck issues. But thats the info I received which could be wrong since technically ecmspy isn't supposed to work with 08+ bikes (from what I've read). And I looked at the codes from ecmspy prior to my post and yes the ones on the screen dont match the 3 that are listed. So not sure on that one.
    Well, that eliminates scenario #1.

The ECMSpy instructions are either wrong, or you've found an undocumented code.

According to the ECMSpy instructions, 2008+ is covered.

http://www.ecmspy.com/supported.shtml

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast