Thread: TPS reset trouble and error code 21

TPS reset trouble and error code 21

Hey gang,

Need some support, as I've gone and done a silly thing. I just reset the TPS in my Uly and I've made it run yet worse. The bike won't even run now for a few seconds, popping and stuttering all the while. Here's the procedure I followed:

1. Backed out idler screw to 0.0 degrees. Verified with a few twists of the handle.
    2. Reset the TPS with ECMDroid in the active test menu.
    3. Reset idle to 5.7 degrees.

So, help! How can I un-brick this? I'm really confused.

Also having constant issues with my active intake. Error code 21 for an AMC stuck open/closed has been both active and stored. Funny thing is the box does energize when I hold the throttle back and then turn the key with the kill switch set to run. I've also gone ahead and cleaned all of the grounding points, eyelets, male connection points for the ECM, battery, and IEV. Didn't really help.

Super confused, any advice is welcome.

I'll assume your bike is a 2006 or 2007?
    Page 1-49 in the service manual found here: Buellmods.com
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 6.03.13 PM.jpg

Do you have a stock muffler? If not you can turn off that CEL with the ECMDroid you have. If you do IEV valve instructions are in section 7.6, page 7-20 of the service manual^^^^

Hey Cooter,

Alright, I'll give that a try and see if doing it the way the manual specifies yields different results.

I do have a stock muffler and it is a 2006.

Drop the TPS voltage to 5.2-5.6 and be careful of repeated start attempts! It will foul your plugs VERY quickly and cause a no start

I believe you can test the IEV actuator function with ECMDroid the same place to test coil, injectors, etc.

Curious why you re-set the TPS in the first place? Did you change something?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Curious why you re-set the TPS in the first place? Did you change something?
    Alright, I'll try to be careful of repeated starts. Already racked up a few this afternoon, hopefully things aren't too fouled up already.

I'd replaced the intake manifold seals (found a leak), and since I'd not reset it since I got the bike it seemed as good a time as any. You know, one more thing I could try to resolve my issues.

Yup, I can test the IEV on the same menu, second option from the bottom. When I do I only get the error code message, "request not acknowledged by ECU, error code 21 present."

It really only takes a couple tries to wet the plugs Buells have a VERY rich and very long cold start cycle.

Hmm. Clear the code and try again? I'm guessing an unplugged IEV harness, but I'd think it would throw a different code for that? Don't forget that IEV harness plugs in on the left side of the battery and has a separate ground terminal that grounds to the seat rail under the main battery (-) cable.