Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speedo stopped working mid ride

The only problem I have with mine (off-topic) is that it's off. Says I'm rolling about 5mph faster than I am. That's true of a lot of bikes, though.

34nineteen, did replacing the sensor make any noticeable difference (if applicable)?

Possible someone put the needle on wrong at one point? Otherwise, its an electronic stepper motor. No calibration other than the tone wheel at the final drive of the trans (12 and 9 are different).

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    The only problem I have with mine (off-topic) is that it's off. Says I'm rolling about 5mph faster than I am. That's true of a lot of bikes, though.

34nineteen, did replacing the sensor make any noticeable difference (if applicable)?
    It just made the speedometer act normal. Before that it was all over the place.

Strangely, after I replaced it, the bike did start running correctly. I talked to upaero about this, and he agreed with me that the speedo sensor was just there to drive the speedometer and had no effect on the how the bike runs. It was still very odd/coincidental though.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    It just made the speedometer act normal. Before that it was all over the place.

Strangely, after I replaced it, the bike did start running correctly. I talked to upaero about this, and he agreed with me that the speedo sensor was just there to drive the speedometer and had no effect on the how the bike runs. It was still very odd/coincidental though.
    Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Possible someone put the needle on wrong at one point? Otherwise, its an electronic stepper motor. No calibration other than the tone wheel at the final drive of the trans (12 and 9 are different).
    Yeah it's unfortunate that it can't be calibrated - because that'd be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    it can be.
    You mean with Part No. HD-41354?

I ain't got one of those. So, I'll rephrase - I CURRENTLY can't calibrate MY speedo.

loose plug back of speedometer

Check the plug into the speedometer at the back...it may be just loose.

I went searching for a sensor Sunday to find when I took the part #and Googled it lots of later sportsters and big twins use the same one and the king of on line sales got me one here Wednesday for about $25.

34nineteen mine also acted strange high idle like not warmed up an not as smooth as normal shut down cleaned sensor and it worked for 2.5 miles I haven't put the new one in I will tonight. It only acts up when up to temp for a while cold in the AM went 30miles this morning and worked fine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12