Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speedo stopped working mid ride

speedo stopped working mid ride

2009 xb9sx city
    rode to work and all went well. about 8 hours later I rode home and all seemed to be running fine. In fact, I was taking some back roads just to get a little more fast fun on the ride home. After about 20 minutes, I noticed the speedometer was at zero, and I know I was going around 70. I feel like I keep a pretty regular glance at the speedo, so I think I noticed it within a few minutes of it going out. Everything was running fine, so I just kept on going to see if it would kick back in, but nothing.
    Then, about 5 minutes after I noticed the speedo, the orange engine light came on and stayed on until I pulled in my driveway about 5 minutes later. I didn't notice anything running differently or any strange sounds, so I shut it off, and the fan came on as usual. I waited one minute, and turned the key, and now the engine light was off and the speedo needle jumped, so I took it back up and down the street and it all seemed to work fine... at least up to about 90 or so down the block.

So my question is this...
    What do we think that was all about?
    Is it a sign of something to come?
    Is there something I should check out now?
    I have a Buelltooth dongle thingy, and I've used it years ago to check codes so I suppose I could see if it shows anything? but will it now that the light is off?

Any ideas?

Check your codes

do what josh recommended. codes for 2009 all XB as follows:

fault codes 37&43 applicable for speedometer and speed sensor units.
    37 more indicative of failing speedo head unit
    43 more indicative of speed sensor voltage being too high...too low...short to ground
    cracked IC board in cluster usually stores 37 and comes and goes.

you also need to closely and carefully check your ground cluster at the front of the main wiring harness in vicinity of steering neck and dedicated ground behind stock SX fly screen. compromised ground will cause wild speedo fluctuations.

If just the speedo quit, look at the speedo sensor (R&R and clean the junk off the magnet) and circuit, speedo stepper motor, or sometimes the needle can physically stick to the gauge housing if someone installed a custom gauge background incorrectly.

If the speedo and tach quit at the same time, you should be looking at cluster voltage (and ground) circuits like Barrett said. The dash lights would go out too if that your issue. Go 90 mph down your block at night.

Right now all seems working... but when it happened, tach never stopped working, the engine light came on, and I assume the backlights were still working, all while the speedo was at zero, so maybe sensor related??? It doesn't seem like the needle sticks. I'm pretty sure only the speedo was affected.

I did check the buelltooth and it showed no current codes, but under stored codes was the "43 - VS input short to supply voltage"
    Given this, is the front end grounds the first to go over? Is the speedo sensor still a possible factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If just the speedo quit, look at the speedo sensor (R&R and clean the junk off the magnet) and circuit, speedo stepper motor, or sometimes the needle can physically stick to the gauge housing if someone installed a custom gauge background incorrectly.

If the speedo and tach quit at the same time, you should be looking at cluster voltage (and ground) circuits like Barrett said. The dash lights would go out too if that your issue. Go 90 mph down your block at night.
    This^^^^ also check the harness for frayed or damaged wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDredd View Post
    Right now all seems working... but when it happened, tach never stopped working, the engine light came on, and I assume the backlights were still working, all while the speedo was at zero, so maybe sensor related??? It doesn't seem like the needle sticks. I'm pretty sure only the speedo was affected.

I did check the buelltooth and it showed no current codes, but under stored codes was the "43 - VS input short to supply voltage"
    Given this, is the front end grounds the first to go over? Is the speedo sensor still a possible factor?

Jon: with the info you just provided and with the info i provided in my initial post....you just resolved this.
    stored historical #43 indicates VSS activity the ECM saw, and didn't like. can be VSS signal too high...too low....erractic....short to ground fault(extremely rare). SM shows its location which is top of trans portion of engine case just inboard of plastic front belt pulley cover.
    given its easy access and replacement cost...a R&R and thorough cleaning might prolong its service life. historical MUST be cleared out of the ECM.

still several in dealer system as follows:
    original list price of $59.40
    early version VSS part number 74402-05....NO suffix
    later version VSS part number 74402-05B...NO suffix
    as memory serves the B designated slight mod to plug end.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Jon: with the info you just provided and with the info i provided in my initial post....you just resolved this.
    stored historical #43 indicates VSS activity the ECM saw, and didn't like. can be VSS signal too high...too low....erractic....short to ground fault(extremely rare). SM shows its location which is top of trans portion of engine case just inboard of plastic front belt pulley cover.
    given its easy access and replacement cost...a R&R and thorough cleaning might prolong its service life. historical MUST be cleared out of the ECM.

still several in dealer system as follows:
    original list price of $59.40
    early version VSS part number 74402-05....NO suffix
    later version VSS part number 74402-05B...NO suffix
    as memory serves the B designated slight mod to plug end.
    Barrett, we need to create a WIKI with ALL of your knowledge stored there. Like all these tidbits are super helpful.

Same thing for me last year.
    It stopped working for some minutes than it worked again.
    I cleaned the sensor just in case.

On my last XB, the speedometer was acting erratic. I replaced the speed sensor and it fixed it (go figure).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast