Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 xb9r flooding throttle body with gas

05 xb9r flooding throttle body with gas

So I recently acquired a 05 xb9r fire bolt. Problem is that it’s flooding the throttle body with gas as soon as I turn the key on. Fuel pump turns on , I open the throttle body to see in side and it’s a river of gas pouring in. I changed the plugs , wires but it will not fire up but I’m assuming because it’s flooding. I just drained the oil and there’s gas in there as well. Any ideas what I need to do next? check , replace ? I just bought the buelltooth and there’s no error codes.
    Thanks in advance for your help

Wait ... what?

You see “a river of gas” pouring down the intake and your first thought is to replace the plugs and wires???

This is a joke right?

You obviously realized the “river of gas” wasn’t right, but then...

Seriously, you’re kidding, right?

Well, if that didn’t solve the problem, the bike is screwed. Time to part it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Wait ... what?

You see “a river of gas” pouring down the intake and your first thought is to replace the plugs and wires???

This is a joke right?

You obviously realized the “river of gas” wasn’t right, but then...

Seriously, you’re kidding, right?

Well, if that didn’t solve the problem, the bike is screwed. Time to part it out.

Ok maybe I’m exaggerating a bit about the “river” but theres definitely gas inside the throttle body when I first turn the key On. I didn’t find out about the gas in the throttle body till after I put new plugs and wires on. So you think I should just dump the bike and not check the fuel Injectors or anything else. The bike has only 9k on the clock

Update

Update- as soon as I turn the key on the fuel pump turns on and the injectors immediately start spraying gas before I even hit the starter button. Could this be a setting in the ecm?,tps need to be reset ? Im really hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have video of the injectors spraying gas into the cylinder... bad injectors maybe? I don’t want to start buying anything for no reason.
    Thank you in advance.

It sure as hell isn’t because of bad plugs and wires. I realize that “river of gas” was an exaggeration, but trying to fix it by installing plugs and wires is next level.

Did you check the tire pressure? Is your registration up to date? Maybe one of those is causing it?

How freaking obvious can this be? If the injectors are leaking fuel... maybe you have LEAKING INJECTORS!

So, yes to fix leaking injectors, a TPS reset should nail it. Of course, in the time you took to create an account on here, post messages and make videos, you could have reset your TPS multiple times.

Why not try the obvious first? Unplug the injectors. Do they still leak? If yes, then you need your injectors cleaned or replaced. If not the ecm is telling the injectors to pulse continuously or stay open. Or maybe it’s just time for new tires or the LED headlight upgrade? That will fix it.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-23-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoojetski View Post
    Take the phone out of your pocket before making a video. Works much better that way.

I changed the plugs , wires
    I don’t want to start buying anything for no reason.
    It seems like you already started.

Update on injectors

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: each injector very similar. front white tipped...rear red tipped. slightly different spray pattern between the pair.
    at the top of each injector below the harness plug is a captive internal screen filter. if the injector itself is cracked from being ham-fisted by a novice, it will continuously spray fuel out of the body when both key and kill switch set to run. yours however is continuously spraying out the tip orifice. i thought i had seen it all until now.

to narrow down the possible culprits, do the following:
    gain access to both injectors and unplug them. now turn on key....kill switch to on...check for continuous fuel spray. if YES...the problem is a failed injector. if NO...then do this: reconnect wiring harness to both injectors. now turn key on...kill switch to on. if problem reappears it is a failed ECM.

this has absolutely no relation to the fuel pump. the pump is NOT related in any way to the ECM and monitoring/signaling. the pump only receives 12V+. the ECM only knows if the pump is receiving 12V+. the ECM does NOT know pump condition or system pressure. only 2010 models.
    Jeez talk about getting slammed , I changed plugs and wires before I knew it was flooding the throttle body.
    So I unplugged both injectors turned the key,kill switch on and no spray , hooked them back up and sprays like a garden hose. The injectors should not open at all before I hit the starter correct? The injectors are staying wide open when connected to ecm. Sorry for wasteing everyone’s time here just looking for some simple advice on what to check for. Tires are good by the way and reg is up to date. 😁

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast