Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 05 xb9r flooding throttle body with gas

is the primary oil the same as the oil in the swing arm
    NO

Engine case has window passages cast into same. all XB-XL-XR castings principally operate the same. The Primary drive assembly and the transmission share ONE QUART of common fluid. It is NOT shared with the engine.

Primary/Trans refill with full one-hour drain is 1 US quart
    Engine oil goes into the swingarm cavity via the dipstick/fill hole. capacity is 2.5 US quarts with full drain and filter replacement

READ your owners manual and/or the service manual for recommended lubricants and viscosity. this will avoid the dreaded "God Almighty not another idiotic oil thread" event so often seen on here.

I own FOUR Buells and FOUR XR1200's. i also service approx. 25 Buell XB's per annum.
    My personal choices?
    any quality 20W50 natural or synthetic for the engine. they're all excellent these days.

Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50....Amsoil 20W50 V-twin....for the primary/trans. both provide proven longevity....incredibly smooth clutch operation....well-balanced smooth shifting....fully STATOR/ROTOR compatible.

Avoid temptation to try ATF....gear-lube....Royal Purple in the primary/trans. why? many are NOT compatible with H-D stator/rotor assemblies and many are NOT JASO-MA/JASO-MA2 rated. an oil not rated as such typically causes "wet clutch" problems including slippage and welded-together plates in the pack. motorcycle oils marketed in the USA are NOT required to be SAE rated...but if specific designations on the container elude to "motorcycle usage"....they're typically JASO rated.

NOTE: the primary and swingarm drain plugs interchange. both require 5/8th socket or wrench to R&R. each has 1 sealing O-ring on same. closely check said O-ring doing initial service. probably never changed before and good idea to do same.
    Last edited by Barrett; 05-25-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoojetski View Post
    Last couple of questions if you don’t mind, is the primary oil the same as the oil in the swing arm and do you know how much it takes ? 05 xb9r firebolt. Getting mixed information on it.
    And do you know what this is? Picture attached Attachment 15447
    Pictured is the arm from a gpr steering stabilizer. Goes between the stabilizer and a mounting bracket located at the front right airbox bolt

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Pictured is the arm from a gpr steering stabilizer. Goes between the stabilizer and a mounting bracket located at the front right airbox bolt
    Thank you , now I have to locate the rest of the parts to that stabilizer....

Thank you very much for the info... I will be following your recommendations... great forum with really good knowledgeable people. Thank you again ...

Quote Originally Posted by seadoojetski View Post
    Thank you , now I have to locate the rest of the parts to that stabilizer....
    Here's a close up of a gpr for Ulysses or lightning for reference 2014-02-20 19.19.21.jpg

Thanks for the picture , I’ve been looking to see pictures of it in a 05 xb9r firebolt but cannot find any anywhere.
    This was my brothers bike who recently passed so I’m going to look for the rest of it where the bike was kept. Hopefully the rest of the kit is there....
    Thank you again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123