Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highway pegs - revisited

I've done some serious mileage on my XB12Ss, which is very comfortable IMHO, but I understand it's a bit stretched out compared to the original XB12S. I've not changed the stock peg locations either because it seems to work out well for me. Cooter, if you use the case sliders as a footrest, is it actually long distance comfortable?

The short answer is yes. I'll ride 8-10 hour days on a few week trip without issue. The long answer is that, there's more to it than just the highway pegs. TBH They could be longer, but cutting the traction in them helped a ton.

The only sage advice I have for long distance riding is to pay attention to what hurts and change the bike (or your body) accordingly. Sounds obvious but pay attention at speed. On a new bike, I'll get going at my comfortable pace and relax my whole body to see what changes. Do I fall forward? Am I getting pushed off the bike by wind? Do my feet fall off the pegs? All that stuff is tensing your body up. I have the Ss so fine tuned I can set the throttle and just float on it, no hands, no feet, just glide against the wind and steer with my weight. Pretty fantastic TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The short answer is yes. I'll ride 8-10 hour days on a few week trip without issue. The long answer is that, there's more to it than just the highway pegs. TBH They could be longer, but cutting the traction in them helped a ton.

The only sage advice I have for long distance riding is to pay attention to what hurts and change the bike (or your body) accordingly. Sounds obvious but pay attention at speed. On a new bike, I'll get going at my comfortable pace and relax my whole body to see what changes. Do I fall forward? Am I getting pushed off the bike by wind? Do my feet fall off the pegs? All that stuff is tensing your body up. I have the Ss so fine tuned I can set the throttle and just float on it, no hands, no feet, just glide against the wind and steer with my weight. Pretty fantastic TBH
    Zen and the art of motorcycle riding! Seriously, I'm going to give all that a try on my next outing. Man, you could even meditate floating along like that..... but keep one eye open!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12