Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test rode the Pan America

Test rode the Pan America

The Pan America reminded me of the Yamaha Super Tenere on the test ride, which was very short. Previously rented a FJR1300, Tiger 1250, R1200GS, R1200RT. I like the R1200GS the best to ride, not sure what owning one would be like having to adjust the valves every 12K miles? Still waiting for the Buell Super touring. Thinking that the 1190 motor is very established, so the only kinks possibly would be the body, chassis, or ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    not sure what owning one would be like having to adjust the valves every 12K miles?
    Expensive. Very expensive, and time consuming, and very annoying if you actually ride miles. But I believe they are longer intervals now?

Still waiting for the Buell Super touring.
    Sure, but why? Buy an SX, add a powerbronze windscreen/ bags of your choice= done.
    IMO, 150+ hp is ludicrously unneccesary for any "touring" dirt or street. Your choices are all over the place from light and easy off road to fat highway cruiser la-z-boy.
    Where do you want to actually tour? That would define the bike you need

Thanks Cooter. Been riding most everywhere on a Uly, and or a Tiger 1050. Recreationally %50 of the time is 2 up with loaded luggage. When I go to Oregon I chase my brother on his R 1200GS up on some crazy timber roads. Last time I was on a rented FJR1300, 2 up with loaded side and top cases and actually did alright.

How well will the 1190 SX handle a 225 lb rider, 160 lb pillion, loaded side and top cases on an unpaved road?

On a FJR1300!? That sounds ridiculous and fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    How well will the 1190 SX handle a 225 lb rider, 160 lb pillion, loaded side and top cases on an unpaved road?
    They would have to un-engineer all the race track DNA Erik put in it, so.... not well IMO, and the rear seat is the worst thing ever to get between a lady's legs (quote from my sweet innocent Bubbles) haha.

If you're strong a big bike like that 1250 is king of the hill for a reason, they are just so good at everything if you can stomach the maintenance (and they are getting better) Notice the surge of 120hp, 800CC, 550 lb ADV bikes? It's for us old adventurous types that don't want to lift up a 1000lb bike/stuff over and over.

I really like the Pan-America and laugh when they talk about the "new-tech" hydraulic lifters that need no lash adjustment ever. Ya know like every other H-D engine since what, the 50's??

When I think highway touring I think BMW/HD, When I think dirt road touring, I think Triumph/KTM. YMMV. No matter what it sounds like you're gonna have a good time.

Is it possible the Super Touring can be functional as a R 1250 GS, Uly, or a Tiger? Great between a Lady's legs with all the luggage to take pictures like this because the bluebonnets look better further off the dirt road you been riding on for several miles already?NPBlueBonnets.jpg She is a huge Rush fan so probably will be riding off into the sunset on the Neil Peart preferred bike. Can I learn how to adjust valves on or off the road somewhere's?

How often are the valves adjusted on a 1190 motor? Seems like a more involved process than say an R1250GS?

I don't know what the process is for the Bimmer, but I bet you a crispy kreugerand it involves BMW specialty tool #3264, and #77725254 and #234555, and #672X and the service manual is on a back corner of the dark web only, lol.

The valve service for the 1190 is required every 6200 (10k) because in Erik's words "The EBR 1190 engine was designed as a legitimate racing engine" and I highly doubt any more effort has been put into its development by LAP for the Super Tourer. I would expect the BMW to easily go 100k with proper maintenance, I don't think thats realistic for the EBR. You have to remove the airbox completely and split the frame for access. First time took a day, second time took 4 hours...

That is why my personal Super Tourer is my '09 Ss (think better looking Uly). Sure, you lose 50hp to the new ones, but gain dang near everything else. Cost, simplicity, almost zero maintenance, parts availability, proven dependability, etc. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I don't know what the process is for the Bimmer, but I bet you a crispy kreugerand it involves BMW specialty tool #3264, and #77725254 and #234555, and #672X and the service manual is on a back corner of the dark web only, lol.

The valve service for the 1190 is required every 6200 (10k) because in Erik's words "The EBR 1190 engine was designed as a legitimate racing engine" and I highly doubt any more effort has been put into its development by LAP for the Super Tourer. I would expect the BMW to easily go 100k with proper maintenance, I don't think thats realistic for the EBR. You have to remove the airbox completely and split the frame for access. First time took a day, second time took 4 hours...

That is why my personal Super Tourer is my '09 Ss (think better looking Uly). Sure, you lose 50hp to the new ones, but gain dang near everything else. Cost, simplicity, almost zero maintenance, parts availability, proven dependability, etc. IMO.
    This is the guy that owns a motorcycle that requires a $200 fancy tool just to measure the rear suspension sag.

Thanks Cooter and 34-19. You have Just promoted my Ulysses to a Super to me Touring bike with 67K miles on it. Albeit I am ugly as well, the bike looks much better with me on it. Since I have about 20 more yrs of riding life left in me it will need to make ~ 207,000 miles by the year 2040. Are there crate motors somewhere I can swap out if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    This is the guy that owns a motorcycle that requires a $200 fancy tool just to measure the rear suspension sag.
    Um... that is a FIVE hundred dollar stamped steel flat bracket, sir. I would whittle one out of a coat hanger and zip tears before I spent that and still had to wait 10 weeks for Antonio to put it in a box and sent it out of Italy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast